Need more heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Grantham2305

Dec 26, 2019
PA
We're have a Harman Pellet Pro 2 that just doesn't produce good heat. I keep it clean regularly. I have played with the settings tho get the right air to fuel mix. Ask to no avail. We do have longish exhaust. Would a 4" pipe help? How about a fresh air intake? Any help would be appreciated

welcome to the forums Grantham23
thats about all I know about the stove

Some photos of your set up would help...I never had a problem getting heat out of my old PP2...what does your (OAK) outside air intake look like.

Some photos of your set up would help...I never had a problem getting heat out of my old PP2...what does your (OAK) outside air intake look like.
Hello, I don't have any photos to provide right now. However, I really do think I have too much chimney pipe. Probably about 20' plus, taking into account the elbows. Also, I do not have a fresh air intake. I only draw from the room air, which my service guy said was probably enough. I'm wondering about that as well. I think my first test will be to shorten my comment. I can probably eliminate about 7' or so.

That must be a really old unit. I have never seen one around here. I looked it up. It has a mechanical knob to adjust feed? Could be a gasket issue at that age. Mine is 15 yrs old and I dont think that model was available when I got mine...

Adding an outside air kit with only improve your situation. May or not fix it but definitely will improve it. You're using paid for heat to come back to the stove for combustion.

Reactions: tlc1976
Agree with the outside air kit. Not only are you feeding the fire with paid heat and sucking cold air back into the house through every nook and cranny. But if the house is airtight enough it will be starving the fire for air and won't burn correctly. My house is over 30 years old and still needed outside air for the stove to run right.

Reactions: Tonyray
We're have a Harman Pellet Pro 2 that just doesn't produce good heat. I keep it clean regularly. I have played with the settings tho get the right air to fuel mix. Ask to no avail. We do have longish exhaust. Would a 4" pipe help? How about a fresh air intake? Any help would be appreciated
Is this a new install? Can you explain your exhaust configuration? We re did 2 exhausts this week where the EVL was very high and choking the stove.

About 20 plus years ago I added outside air after a few years with the stove using room air (one really cold winter I decided no heated room air for combustion no more), stove sure seemed to like it and I felt better about it. I used 2" car exhaust pipe bent by local muffler shop to draw air well away from exhaust or wind influence. Screen wire over end with hose clamp keeps birds, etc out of it while paint hides it.

My exhaust was at first 18 feet straight out of the house horizontal along a carport railing, did OK I guess …
then I added a Tee at end of first 3' and ran 15 feet straight up to cap, worked well too.

Now, in my third exhaust set up, 3 feet out to tee and up 5 feet to elbow with venturi type tip which has a stainless steel coil to keep birds out.

All used 3" Pell Vent.

Last edited:
What re your pellets like.. long and inconstant or shorter and consistent... As have been seen through several posts lately the shorter more consistent pellets burn hotter as they have a more consistent feed compared to the longer that feed all over the place as the augers have to work a little more to brake them up

Something I found key on my Pellet Pro 2 was making sure the burn pot holes were absolutely wide open....it made a huge difference with heat output!

burning EZBlaze super premo softies...very small pellets...
really do kick out the heat..... with a harman, i can lower feed rate to 2/half....

Reactions: Washed-Up