1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Need new indoor wood boiler. . .

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by lynn mc, May 4, 2013.

1. lynn mc

lynn mc New Member

Loc:
    western pa
    My 27 year old Royal wood boiler died. Looking at new indoor boiler, but the 150,000 btu Royal will be too much I think. The old one was only 85,000 btu and heated me out if we had a warm day outside. What do you recommend?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Floydian

Floydian Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwestern VA
    Welcome! You've come to the right place

I recommend taking some time to learn about: Gassification boilers and thermal storage. The search function is your friend!

Sooo many options for boilers these days it'l make your head spin. After some research, I would try to see some boilers in person. Helped me a lot with the decision making process.

After 27 yrs with the old Royal, you could be making a big jump in efficiency.Oh, and dry wood. It's all about dry wood!

What is your current heat distribution system?

Noah

EDIT: Pics of your current setup could also help the smart folks here give better recommendations.
    We do love us some pictures:)
  3. James Gautsch

James Gautsch Member

Loc:
    central susquehanna valley PA
    Just end my first season with AHS Woodgun E-100. Radiant under the floor. 1800 sq ft. Wife happy!!!!
  4. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    We know nothing about your situation, existing system, space availability, priorities, etc. etc..

Make lots of time for reading this place - the right solution will eventually emerge.
  5. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    Seriously think about storage. It will add some expense, no doubt. But you will be very glad you included it with the installation of the new system.
  6. denn

denn Member

Loc:
    South Central PA.
    Woodgun has been around probably longer then any one and they don't have to keep trying to get it right at your expense.
    As for storage, get a out of service propane tank. When they take them out of service, there scraped or sold to be used for air, water or fuel tank. But you need to do some measuring first to see if you can get it in.
    The Amish buy a lot of them.