Need new stove - not sure where to start

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingston73

Feb 10, 2011
SE MA
My wife and I have only had a wood stove 2 seasons now, but it was here when we bought the house and I don't have a clue how old it is. I just noticed today the it's got a decent sized crack running from top to bottom right in the center of the left side, so I'm assuming I should stop using it immediately and replace it. It's a FCP model 100, from what I've read FCP was a cheap Taiwan company. My biggest question for replacement is from looking around it seems like most current model wood stoves have the exhaust pipe exiting out the top, but mine exits out the rear directly into the wall. Does this mean I'll have to either find a stove with the same height exhaust exit or do some major rebuilding to my wall? Where do I even start as far as looking for a decent, fairly low priced model? Our house is only about 1000 square feet.

Dont use that death trap until your replace. And good job coming here for advice. First things I would normally ask a customer:
1. What is the height to the center line of your thimble?
2. What kind of chimney is it hooked up to?
3. What size is the hearth?
4. Along with this info, do you also have a photo or two?

Theres a lot of good rear exit stoves. With this info we can start making better suggestions for you.

I'll get some pictures up later, but for some quick measurements its: 24 inches to the top of the exhaust pipe, and it's an 8 inch pipe leading into the wall. The exhaust of the stove itself looks to be 6 inches. It's connected through the wall to an external brick chimney, basically the entire wall behind the stove is brick. The hearth is41 inches from the wall out and it's 57 inches wide. Like I said, I'll post up some pictures here soon. Thanks for the quick reply, I'm learning things as I type right now. It's a lot more complicated than it seemed at first!

Welcome to the forum. There are several rear-exit stoves, but only a few at below 24". I would look at the Woodstock stoves for starters, though you may need to ask them about short leg kits.
http://www.woodstove.com

If you prefer a top exhaust stove it may still be possible, but it would entail sealing up the current thimble and installing a new one higher up. We can tell more from some pictures. Also, do you know the size of the tile liner in the brick chimney?

Here are a couple of pictures. If those prices are average prices I guess we aren't going to have any wood heat for a while, we really can't afford more than maybe $500 total. If we have to open up the wall and create a new exhaust opening I'm pretty sure that's going to rule out having wood heat for a few years at least.

IMG_20110210_163410.jpg

IMG_20110210_163426.jpg

Yikes.
You don't get much new for $500, but keep your eyes open for something used. Watch craigslist. You might get lucky.

it reminds me of a Vermont Castings aspen model. Also reminds me of a Jotul stove I saw as well. when it was working correctly, did it do a good job heating your home?

I have a Vermont Castings Intrepid bought off of Craigslist. The one thing I will say is the flue exit out of the back is reversible. Which means it can come out of the top or out the back. Nice to have an option and might make it fit easier. I am sure there are other companies that may have that option. The Vermont Castings Intrepid is supposed to heat 1000 to 1200 sq. ft. Might be an option for you as well. There is always Ebay.

Just start looking at all the used stoves but don't jump into anything just yet. Try to get yourself an "education" about the wood stoves. Even by looking at them on craigslist or ebay you get some ideas.

Think there was a line of stoves called drolet and englander that might be reasonably priced. try looking at their webpages with your measurements to see if anything will fit without major issues.

The craigslist/ebay route looks like what we'll have to do, I had no idea what kind of price range I was looking at until now. So how do Jotul and Vermont Casting rate as far as quality? It looks like those are 2 manufacturers that have stoves very similar to my current POS. In fact, the Jotul 118 looks like the exact match to mine.

That's quite a crack. I wouldn't light another fire in that stove.

Cast Iron can be welded if the welder knows how to do it...pre heat the area to be welded. Welding it might get you through the end of this season which will open up more options on a used stove.

Kingston dont get so discouraged right off the bat. Take the advice and see if you can have it repaired, cuz you certainly can. You dont have to sink a fortune into a new fangled $2000 stove simply because some people can and do. Im still new here and Ive learned of many options I have just by sitting back reading and looking over images. Sit tight and maybe some of the old timers will chime in cuz your set up isnt that uncommon.

BTW, craigslist and classified listings are a great option for you. Now may not be a good time to buy buy spring isnt that far away and prices will reduce drastically with both new and used units.

get a new one. I especially like the RTV seal job... dump it, it's scrap. if cost is a concern, then I'd check out the local home depot, they are dumpind NC30s low price right now.

Yeah, the previous owner did things kind of half a#$ed in parts of the house. He had a chimney "extension" that was basically a metal tube duct taped and screwed into place, and a dish washer that didn't actually wash. Luckily the foundation and actual structure was good so we still got a good deal, but now we are left cleaning up his details.

kingston73 said:
The craigslist/ebay route looks like what we'll have to do, I had no idea what kind of price range I was looking at until now. So how do Jotul and Vermont Casting rate as far as quality? It looks like those are 2 manufacturers that have stoves very similar to my current POS. In fact, the Jotul 118 looks like the exact match to mine.

It's a knock off of the Jotul 118. This thing is overfired and tired. Not worth the repair. You could drill a hole at the two ends of the crack to try and stop it from spreading, but I would put it out to pasture considering you have a family to watch out for.

I found a Vermont Castings Aspen for $650 used but still looks pretty new that is relatively near where I live, is that a decent price and a decent stove? Opinions?

Is this the one on eBay? Looks clean. If I recall correctly this stove didn't sell for that much more new, maybe around $900? It's a small stove meant to compete with the Jotul 602 but doesn't have the greatest track record. I think you would be disappointed in the short burn time and lower output.

Rural folks out here don't have much access to the internet unless by dial-up. Many my age and older don't use the internet even if they have access. So the local radio "Yard Sale" program and free "Ad Tracker" type papers have a lot of great stoves for sale. I got a perfect stove for me for $125.00 while listening to the "Yard Sale" in the summer of ot 8. Mine is a medium size (34,000 Btu), but when we went out to the fellows barn, he had another bigger stove. He said you can have that one for $150.00. But I didn't need it. I told a friend and he has it in his shop.

Two points: Check out local free ad outlets. If you can, wait for the spring/summer.

I think you will be a good shopper and find a great stove for your family at a price that works for you.

Good luck.

A poster mentioned intercepting the cracks with holes at the ends. Definitely. The holes can be very small and still stop the crack.

Yes, that was me. I think I would try to make it through the season if possible. Drill a small (3/32") hole at each end of the crack. Then smear some stove cement on the inside and outside of the crack. Try to work it in well. That may buy you a bit of time to shop around for the right stove.

Personally, if this was my house, when the heating season is over I would relocate the thimble up to around 48" off the floor. That will open up a lot of choices. Then I figure out what the ideal stove is and would watch for the right deal to come along on a great stove at a great price. They are out there, you just need to be ready to buy when they show up and pass on lesser stoves.

Do any of you have any ideas or estimates for moving the pass through up higher? I think my neighbor helped the previous owner build it so he can probably help, just trying to get an idea for how much it would be.

Do you know what is happening on the other side of the thimble through the brick? Does it terminate into the clay liner or does it connect with a stainless liner? I'm not totally sure, but I would suspect under $100 if this is a totally masonry structure.

you could always be real honest with the vermont castings aspen seller and tell him you just can't pay that much. Try a real low ball offer. I don't think there is going to be tons of demand for that stove because it is so small. I saw a vermont castings intrepid on craigslist here for $375. don't know how the condition of it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.