Need opinion on my operation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

63sportsman

Hearth Supporter
Dec 22, 2010
Western NY
Hello,
First I am a new member, but I have been taking the advice from this forum for over a year. This forum is great.

Let me explain my setup. I have an older Woodstock Fireview that I purchased this fall. I have "6 single wall pipe from the stove to a tile chimney thimble about 5' above the stove. The chimney is a tile lined (7 1/2 x 8) exterior block chimney that was built about 25 years ago. This chimney was used for approximately 10 years and then the house was converted to propane heat. I started using the chimney again 3 years ago to vent a pellet stove, and then changed to wood this fall. The condition of the chimney is good (have had it inspected). The chimney is about 22' tall.

My question... When I started using it I built a cap for it (never had one previously), I have noticed a lot of black stain running down the exterior of the chimney. At first I shrugged it off as just soot washing down from the month worth of rain that we had in November, however its still creeping down the chimney. Maybe this is now from the snow melting as it hits the cap? Today I ran a brush down the chimney for the first time (after about 1 1/2 cord of wood), and all I got was about a cup of creosote. The thing that I noticed is that there is a lot of condensation on the inside of the chimney. There was so much that there was actually ice built up in the clean out hole. Is this normal?

P.S. the temp has not been above 25*F in about 4 weeks.

Thanks for any opinions on whether this is normal or not,
Shuan

Sounds like a chimney liner may keep the flue gasses warmer longer and reduce the condensation

I agree. You need a liner. That moisture is the dead giveaway. Chimney does not have enough heat to keep the smoke and gasses going out, it cools and condenses. You will end up with a tar-like substance; you do not want this!

Status
Not open for further replies.