Need opinions on this electric chainsaw for my planned usage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joefrompa

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2010
SE PA
I feel like I am going to get some negative feedback here....lol...but here goes:

http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-400E-1...OD9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296768173&sr=8-1

Poulan 18" electric chain saw, supposedly about 2.5-3 horsepower at speed (maybe 4 when binding). Great reviews overall. $77 with free shipping.

My intended use would be tackling up to 10" round logs and such and bringing them into a length suitable for splitting/putting in my stove. I might do 1-1.5 cords a year with it total, and I'd be focused on getting wood into a shape suitable for splitting with an axe. I would always be within 100-150 feet of a power source when using this saw.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Joe

Probably work OK. Try it. Allot quieter.
Post your pros & cons.
Don't sound like your going to use it all that much, should last you a while.
If it don't work out, not much $$ tied up into it.

I'd buy a small gas one, but versatility & portability are important to me.
I love when battery drills came along, I don't need to drag a cord to where I need to work.

Good luck with it.

I have that saw. I sawed a portion of some log lengths. What my impression is that while it had power it didn't cut that well. I got another oem chain replacement and had the same experience. The chain is thinner than a gas saw's. Maybe it'd be possible to buy another chain. Remember that the protective chaps are that effective against the electric motor. I haven't put my new multimeter on it-I don't know how much current you'd need to start it up - but there's no load when it starts up, so that's good-you don't want to throw a breaker-my 20 amp circuit held. Here's another thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/55421/#622227

I agree with the posters in the other thread that recomended Milwaukee or Makita. I use two old Milwaukee (all aluminum) and they just won't die. Not nearly as fast as even a small gas saw, but with a sharp chain they're fast enough and extremely convienent, especially for rough construction, when you need an amish sawzall. I've seen the craftsman version, but it wasn't running (suprise?) and I would never recomend it for cutting a cord a year. I think you press down on the oil cap to oil the chain, pretty chincy. Wait until you find a used Makita or Milwaukee, (or Stihl or Husky, I didn't know they made electrics)

joefrompa said:
I feel like I am going to get some negative feedback here....lol...but here goes:

http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-400E-1...OD9Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296768173&sr=8-1

Poulan 18" electric chain saw, supposedly about 2.5-3 horsepower at speed (maybe 4 when binding). Great reviews overall. $77 with free shipping.

My intended use would be tackling up to 10" round logs and such and bringing them into a length suitable for splitting/putting in my stove. I might do 1-1.5 cords a year with it total, and I'd be focused on getting wood into a shape suitable for splitting with an axe. I would always be within 100-150 feet of a power source when using this saw.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Joe

The power ratings are meaningless, period. Electric saws are much less powerful than gas saws, but much easier to start, for some folks.

Most electric saws have chain oilers that are a joke; be prepared with an "acid brush" and b&c oil to brush some on regularly. Fortunately, the much lower power output ends up making this lube failure much less significant than it would be on a gas saw.

Make sure to use a very visible (yellow/orange) power cord to make accidental cuts more difficult.

If you're planning on using one much, the Milwaukee is a good bet. Maybe they still make a 230v model; copes much better with long cord.

Splitting with an "axe" is a very bad idea IMHO; a MAUL is a much safer and more productive tool, design evolved for splitting rather than cutting.

This model has an auto-oiler function that reviews state keep the chain very wet without dripping and flinging oil all over. Supposedly you just need to keep the oil resevoir filled.

I'll check out that Milwaukee, but wouldn't I need a 220 hook-up for that higher voltage model?

The oiling was fine, and the cap never fell off. :)

It seemed to have plenty of power at a good distance with a fairly heavy (one step up from your usual, whatever that is) extension cord.
I did cut the cord once.
It has a blade brake as well.
I'd say I cut 2 cords with it before I switched to the gasser.
I wanted to keep the noise down.
For me, I think it needs a more aggressive chain.

Why'd you switch to a gasser? Speed? Distance from power source?

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the comments on here. I thought I was going to get scared away, but I'm actually feeling more comfortable now (I want to look into whether or not it has metal gears, but that's about it)

Hi -

A buddy uses one like this. If sharp it does cut. The olny thing I liked about it was it's quiet enough that one can cut in town at night without irritating the nieghbors.

You will need heavier gage cords it planning to reach 100' +.... Cord cost and weight add up... If noise isn't an issue a used smaller gas saw might be a better fit.

In any event you'll get your money back out of a used Husky, Stihl, Makita, etc... if re-selling.

ATB,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.