Need some Advice: cutting an attic access hatch for Class A inspection.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg123

Hearth Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
WNY
I need some feed back to see if I should/Can do this.

I would like to inspect my Class A connection in the attic, the problem is getting to it through the house access hatch is almost impossible, from where the hatch is the class A is about 35 feet away with about 3 feet of blown-in insulation and almost no head room to maneuver over to it.

So I started thinking of other ways I can get to it. On the side of the house that the class A is on I have a un-insulated attached garage, do you think it would be OK to cut an access hatch from the garage into the house attic?. If this could be done inspecting the Class a would be easy just don't now if it is advisable.

Thanks for any info.

I think there is building code relating to fireblocking. If you cut the hole and repaired it then I don't see a problem. Elk would definately be the one to ask on this.

Is it a verticle wall connecting the garage to the house or a hip roof connection (sloped) ? If its vert it should be easy. find 2 studs, cut out the drywall between them about 2' high. Then take the piece you cut out and picture frame it with 1x4 and span accross the top of the opening with another piece of 1x4 and attach with hinges and maybe some type of latch at the bottom.
could be more difficult if its a hip type as you may need 2 holes depending on how it was framed.

It's vertical, looking at the writing on the drywall it does say gyproc (Fire proof) so like shane said it may create a fire hazard by putting an access hatch in.

I have to ask why do you think you need to inspect the pipe in the attic? Its not exposed to the elements. what do you think you need to inspect?

What are you looking for? after you view it its not like things should change . and its not like it needs inspections yearly. How old is it?

Why not inspect it from the roof? Take the cap off and tie a rope to a flash light and look down.. Now if you want to look at it one time to view the clearances then use cardboard or plywood strips and crawl over to view it once.. You might be able to untwist the top sections and look into your attic from the roof.

Elk - I just wanted to look at it for clearances ect. this will be the third winter that it has been installed. Their is a conection in the class A that joins in the attic, was not sure if this needs to be looked at now and then.

What is there to look at? If its two class A sections joined together it should be fine.

If you feel that there is a need to look at that pipe, find a way to look at that pipe. My first stove and chimney were installed by "pros" and permitted and inspected. Actually inspected twice. Once for the permit sign off and the next day the occupancy inspection was done on the house since it was new. A couple of years later when we were moving I was in the attic taking down stored junk and looked at the pipe. Where it came though the ceiling the joists on each side were scorched black.

Larry, Moe and Curly Woodstoves Inc. or any other shop has never installed any of my other stoves or chimneys.

I'm with BB on this one. If it makes you sleep better at night, cut a hole in from the garage and take a look. The worst thing that will happen (IMO) is that everything will look and measure out fine and you'll have to patch a hole in the drywall.

Scrap piece of drywall to patch hole...$5.00

Joint compound and tape...$10.00

Sleeping better at night (because you know)...Priceless

MrGriz said:
I'm with BB on this one. If it makes you sleep better at night, cut a hole in from the garage and take a look. The worst thing that will happen (IMO) is that everything will look and measure out fine and you'll have to patch a hole in the drywall.

Scrap piece of drywall to patch hole...$5.00

Joint compound and tape...$10.00

Sleeping better at night (because you know)...Priceless
Well said griz.

In my previous suddivision every home had an attic access just as I described above and other homes Ive had pretty much had the same for ceiling access. As long as the drywall is replaced somehow I dont see a problem. However I do agree that if you look at it and all is ok seal it back up.

Greg123 said:
I need some feed back to see if I should/Can do this.

I would like to inspect my Class A connection in the attic, the problem is getting to it through the house access hatch is almost impossible, from where the hatch is the class A is about 35 feet away with about 3 feet of blown-in insulation and almost no head room to maneuver over to it.

So I started thinking of other ways I can get to it. On the side of the house that the class A is on I have a un-insulated attached garage, do you think it would be OK to cut an access hatch from the garage into the house attic?. If this could be done inspecting the Class a would be easy just don't now if it is advisable.

Thanks for any info.

Well Honestly...
I would wait until an "un seasonably cool rainy day" put on a pair of coveralls, duct tape the sleeves and pant leg, put on a decent mask and grab a good flashlight...and go swimming through that blow-in insulation to the chimeny.

Either way, it's no easy task. But cutting holes etc...not necessary IMHO.

Sounds like a PIA but while your up there it wouldn't hurt to take a look around at everything. Maybe you might spot some bad roof sheathing etc.

Take it from someone who has "Had to do the breast-stroke through an ocean of blown in insul once or three times"...it's not as bad as you think.

If you are that concerned, hire a local handyman to go up there and snap a few digi pictures.

Unless you are really mechanically inclined...cutting holes in your house is not exactly something I would recommend.

Even if you end up spending a couple hundred bucks...How much is it worth NOT to have to hear from the Mrs. "Allright...What are you getting into now???"

...Just trying to put thing into perspective for ya'...lol ;)

The problem with swimming through that insulation is that trip down through the ceiling into the bedroom. Well dad fell into my bedroom, in my case it was down to the concrete floor in the garage. Ceiling joists are real hard to find to walk on under that stuff. You think that access hole is some drywall work, try putting it on a ceiling.

Real estate agent: "Mr. BroBart. Why is their one new sheet of sheet rock in the the ceiling of the garage?"

BroBart: "Ya want the listing or not?"

Agent: "Yes."

Bro: "Good. Let's go look at the kitchen."

If it is a short straight run and Installed like 90% of class A chimney with a support box and NOT a ROOF SUPPORT CLAMP.
you could take the Flue pipe off your stove in the house that is connected to the Class A at the box.
Then jump on the roof and Pull the class A out of the support box through the roof flashing.
Then you can see in the attic.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I looked through the access hatch again last night, if I move real slowly I should be able to get to the class A for a one time inspection. I’m going to wait until next weekend to try, it’s just to dam hot up there right now and I don’t want to rush, and miss a ceiling joist and fall through. Cooler air will be arriving by next Saturday which will make much more bearable up their.

Status
Not open for further replies.