Need some advice with Vermont castings Intrepid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rubicon79

Feb 7, 2014
Hey to all! I had been reading here for the past 2 years and always wanted a wood stove so last winter we had 2 Vermont Castings Intrepid II's put in the house. The house is 1700 Sq ft but the master is almost 1/2 the house so there is one for the living room and one for the bedroom. We heated exclusively with wood for our 2nd winter now and love it. So much more comfortable and saving money is a welcome bonus.

1. I can see some fire around the top of the doors with the doors closed. Isn't it supposed to be airtight? Both are like this and the gaskets aren't but 2 winters old. The way the gaskets are made it seems hard to get it not like this, the doors are tight.

2. We are getting a little puffing in the living room stove. We burn it every night and our wood is dried oak and poplar. Should I clean the catalyst?

3. Like everyone it seems we would like a little longer burn time but it's almost too much stove for our small living room as it is. Any tricks to try?

Thanks for the help and advice. We are both new to wood heat but we really enjoy it.

Well, if you see fire through a crack in the door where it meets the stove, that wouldn't be good. That needs to be checked. Catalyst should be cleaned per mfg recommendation. I clean mine once a month or less if I "feel" a problem. (Not performing in it's usual manner) Restrict the intake further somehow to slow burn? But if you have an gasket leak that will add more air thus higher burn. (Disclaimer: I am no expert, I'm just warm and haven't burned my house down)

Status
Not open for further replies.