Need some advice!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwhunter85

Feeling the Heat
Aug 21, 2010
Sunfield, MI
I have a large standing dead elm on the property. It is 10ft off the dirt road and has no other obstacles I need to worry about hitting. It would be the biggest tree I have ever cut, and I was wondring if it would be smarter to call in a professional. Any idea how much I'd be looking at to have someone come in and just drop it for me? Thanks!

If you ask the question, then yes call a pro to drop it. If its easy enough your looking under 100 bucks. Watch him close take pic's and look at the stump closely....

Reactions: mecreature
take some pics. "It would be the biggest tree I have ever cut". that is what makes it fun.

Its always smarter to call a professional.

Do you have any friends who could come out and give you a lesson in felling in exchange for a pickup load of wood?

Preferabley a friend with a hydrualic splitter for a big elm.

I cut a lot of DED American elm. The the twisted grain keeps the trunk together for falling, and you often have to leave much less holding wood to get it moving; and even then it helps to have someone pulling on a rope. You have to watch for widowmakers--especially if the bark is coming off or is completely off the tree. All trees are dangerous, but the dead ones seem to be less predictable. Any doubts at all, get a pro or more experienced friend (as others have already stated).

Dead elm. Wait for the bark to fall off about 75% of the tree before cutting. It will both split easier and also burn better. That is because it won't end up all stringy like elm typically does. It will split much, much easier so most will not turn out stringy.

Here it is.

IMAG0136.jpg IMAG0137.jpg

Assuming the guy is an expert, 50 bucks for most any lesson, especially one that can keep you safe, is money well spent.

pen

I got a guy coming to drop it for $50.00 I'm going to watch very closely!!

May I ask who you got coming? I'm not far from you, & know quite a few guys in your neighborhood. A C

May I ask who you got coming? I'm not far from you, & know quite a few guys in your neighborhood. A C

I hope he has a good guy too and if not you can help.

As you guys talk local guys / names / reputations, it would be best if that were done in a private conversation and not on the public forum.

Thanks

pen

Outstanding. good luck

I hope he has a good guy too and if not you can help.

As you guys talk local guys / names / reputations, it would be best if that were done in a private conversation and not on the public forum.

Thanks

pen
Sorry Pen, my bad. I wasn't gonna go into details, but good call.
BTW I really appreciate the mods here, & the time you guys put in.

Think nothing of it. Hope everything comes down well. Pics or it didn't happen :p

Thats not a great looking stump. May check out some of rdust pic's.

Guy notched out. Started to lean the way we wanted it. Then swiveled on him.

I can tell...lol Good enough with the area he had but not a good looking stump of a good fell!

Kinda glad that wasn't me. That coulda been way worse. Good call on not doing that one yourself. Enjoy the heat. A C

I'm glad I didn't attempt to drop this tree myself, I would have been in some trouble. You can see where the center of the tree was soft and when he was doing the back cut there was nothing holding the tree down and it swiveled, literally parrallell to the dirt rd, which made it easier to load, but not planned. Now I have to figure out how to load those big rounds up in the back of the truck!! ;?

I'm glad I didn't attempt to drop this tree myself, I would have been in some trouble. You can see where the center of the tree was soft and when he was doing the back cut there was nothing holding the tree down and it swiveled, literally parrallell to the dirt rd, which made it easier to load, but not planned. Now I have to figure out how to load those big rounds up in the back of the truck!! ;?

Split it where it sets is easist.

I've dropped some huge dead cottonwoods, when they hit the ground, you can feel the earthquake & the sound is a deep sounding thuuuuump.
Bet that sucker hit with some force.
Lots of BTUs & it's Gonna make some fine wood ashes :)
Hope it splits well.

Status
Not open for further replies.