Need some Big Heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sprawlnstall

Burning Hunk
Jan 15, 2018
Minnesota
I am a new member to this forum and apologize if this question has been answered already.

I live in Northern Minnesota and have a 2350 square foot house. My current main source of heat is a Pelpro pellet stove which is suppose to heat 2200 square feet. The pellet stove does okay until the temps dip below zero which happens quite often here. I have decided to put in an indoor woodstove. My current chimney is only 6 inches so the Blaze King is not an option (cannot go through roof, going through wall would also be hard). I have narrowed things down to The blaze King Princess and a Vogelgang Pondersoa, see link below.
Burn Times and heat output are my biggest concern. The ponderosa is advertised at 3500 square feet and 14 hour burn time it also comes in under $1000. Any minnesotans have a princess? can it heat 2300 square feet when it's -25 below? Any other options available???
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200578244_200578244?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Heaters, Stoves + Fireplaces > Wood Stoves&utm_campaign=Vogelzang&utm_content=28106&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInraDvafb2AIVFbjACh0fkwfAEAYYASABEgK-tPD_BwE

Last edited:
There's a huge difference between these two choices. The Ponderosa is large and somewhat new. So far we haven't heard bad things about it. It's a basic, non-cat stove, I think made in China. The BK Princess is a first class catalytic stove made in Canada and America. It has thermostatic operation and will put out less heat than the Ponderosa, but for a longer time.

For big heat also look at the Englander 30NC and Drolet HT2000. They are good value stoves that are a notch above the Ponderosa with a good long track record. And for the biggest stove that can go on a 6" flue look at the Quadrafire Adventure III.

Reactions: Eureka
I looked at the Adventure 3 and cant seem to find any quality reviews, The thermostat looked interesting .

There are lots of options that will use a 6" exhaust that will provide a lot of heat. Something else to keep in mind - as a general rule - buy cheap, get cheap. Do some research and purchase a quality used airtight stove if you find a good deal. Avalon, Regency, Quadrafire, Harman, Hampton, Pacific Energy....... lots to choose from. Not to say the others aren't good though. I've seen lots of good comments on the Blaze Kings. I consider Englander and US stoves and the like to be "starter" stoves but.... you have to start somewhere.

I consider Englander and US stoves and the like to be "starter" stoves but.... you have to start somewhere.
The difference being that Englanders last for years. There are some that have been regular burners here for 11 yr on the 30NC. I can't say that about US Stoves of that vintage.

Last edited:
Hmmmmmmm...The Poderosa holds 30lb of wood....while the Princess holds 60lbs with a smaller firebox....not adding up.

Ponderosa..
  • Heavy-gauge 3/16in. reinforced plate steel with full firebrick lining
  • 82% efficient
  • EPA certified
  • Cast iron feed door with large 15in.W x 9in.H ceramic glass window
  • Large ash drawer for easy ash removal
  • Holds up to 30 lbs. of wood
  • 3.2 cu. ft. firebox
  • 6in. flue collar
  • Mobile home approved
  • Safety tested to UL 1482-2010/ULC S627-00
Princess

Wood capacity (approximate):

White oak - 60 lbs. (27.21 kg)

The difference being that Englanders last for years. There are some that have been regular burners here for 11 yr on the 30NC. I can't say that about US Stoves of that vintage.
Little hazy on the "last years" comment..... But there are certainly lots of them out there that do a fine job and have lots of years of service. No question.

Ah....the edit makes much more sense.

Last edited:
Pellet stove flues are not always compliant with wood burning stoves, are they? I'm not an expert, but I think I am right.

Another vote for the Englander 30 NC over the Vogelzang. The Englander has a bit larger firebox. It throws off serious heat. I have it heating a 2100 sq. ft. shop building right now. I just loaded it up, it is expected to drop to -2 deg. f. tonight, and I fully expect the temperature to be 70 deg. inside tomorrow morning after an all night burn.

It is an inexpensive stove but not a cheap one.

If the money is not an issue, the Blaze King will give you much more controllable heat and even more efficiency. The controllability of a cat stove should not be discounted.

The Woodstock Ideal Hybrid would also be an option to consider.

If you just need some additional heat to your pellet stove the Princess will give you some long burns and less fiddling with wood. If you're just going to need extra heat when its frigid the Englander will give you more bang for your buck but won't get the long burn times of the princess.

jotul8e2...brings up a good point about what type of pipe you currently have?

Thanks for the responses, my current pellet stove is vented through the wall with 3 inch pellet stove pipe. My new wood stove install will be through the chimney.

I know a lot of variables come into play but what burn times can I expect from the Englander 30 NC?

Thanks for the responses, my current pellet stove is vented through the wall with 3 inch pellet stove pipe. My new wood stove install will be through the chimney.
Would running both a pellet stove and a wood stove conflict with each other? Or do you just want to do away with the pellet stove altogether?

If you're sure you're going to get a wood stove, step 1 is to start stockpiling firewood. I am in year 1 with my wood stove, and just ran out of seasoned wood for the year. Don't make the same mistake I made! Find someone selling wood that already has a year or two of seasoning, and set yourself up for next year.

I am curious as to the BTU rating on your pellet stove?

It is suppose to be 50,000 BTU
Have you thought of running both the pellet stove and the wood stove? Woodstove as your primary and the pellet to supplement on the bitter -25 nights?

Have you thought of running both the pellet stove and the wood stove? Woodstove as your primary and the pellet to supplement on the bitter -25 nights?
That is an option but I would prefer to stick with wood, I live about an hour away from anywhere that sells pellets.

That is an option but I would prefer to stick with wood, I live about an hour away from anywhere that sells pellets.
I dont blame you there...and there is the expense. I was just thinking out loud here...you see some brutal temps!

NC 30 or HT 2000 would both be good stoves for what you want and less $ than others that do the same thing. Is the chimney you want to use class A or lined masonry? Venting a stove in a straight masonry chimney especially on an outside wall is a recipe for creosote.

NC 30 or HT 2000 would both be good stoves for what you want and less $ than others that do the same thing. Is the chimney you want to use class A or lined masonry? Venting a stove in a straight masonry chimney especially on an outside wall is a recipe for creosote.

A liner will be placed in the current masonry chimney

I'm leaning to the quadra-fire Adventure III, The massive 4.0 firebox capacity and 98,000 BTU seems to be as big as it gets. The price tag is a little steep but I would rather do this once and be done. Does anyone know if this stove has a Cat, the burn times lead me to believe it does? Any other Adventure III owners out there who can give their .02 cents on how this stove works for them.

'Big' heat?

'Big' is a relative term - but stoves are space heaters, and furnaces or boilers are central units capable of heating an entire house. Which is what I think when I hear 'big' heat. Any of those thoughts crossed your mind or a possibility? You must have another system of some kind in place also - what would it be?

If a central unit has been or is completely ruled out, carry on - some don't consider it though & later realize they should have.

I see a 3500 sq.ft. rating for a stove noted above - to me that kind of talk is kind of silly. I think anyone with a 3500 sq.ft. house who would buy a stove expecting to heat their entire 3500 sq.ft. will be sadly disappointed. That's a lot of sq.fts.

I should also add I do have a furnace to supplement heat but I would prefer not to use it. My goal is to heat 2400 square feet in -20 temperatures.