Need some Big Heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Temp was 61 in the House about an hour into my first fire, just a few questions:

1. After the stove was in the active zone I closed the bypass per instructions and ran the stove wide open. The stove is just past the maximum mark on the active Zone. Is this normal?

If I run a blaze king wide open does it operate just like a non-cat stove?

1) Unless your wood is really wet, it should be well past the maximum mark with a brand new cat. Pull the thermometer (it just lifts out), let it cool to room temp, undo the nuts on the back, set it to the little line below INACTIVE, and tighten the nuts back down. At least a few of us here had thermometers that were way out of whack on day one.

2) Yes and no. The cat is still reburning combustion byproducts and making heat, but you're not going to be a ton more efficient than a properly operating tube stove. Very low burns is where you can do stuff that nobody else can.

No issues with running a BK wide open, as long as bypass is closed. This is my favorite thing about this stove. No chance for overfire, unless a gasket fails. Try that with any other stove!

Just in case another reader looking for a large stove reads this thread... the Hearthstone Equinox is a beast of a heater and at 4.0 cu ft, rated by Hearthstone at up to 120,000 BTUs and up to 3,500 sq ft heating capability.

Just in case another reader looking for a large stove reads this thread... the Hearthstone Equinox is a beast of a heater and at 4.0 cu ft, rated by Hearthstone at up to 120,000 BTUs and up to 3,500 sq ft heating capability.

Both the 120k and the 3500 sf are bogus. Those specs are unregulated with no standard method for calculation so you can’t compare them to anything including your furnace or other stoves. It’s a real pretty stove though if you’re into 8” flues.