Need some help/advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steamer

Hearth Supporter
Jul 15, 2008
Southern Vt
I have a Stihl Farm Boss with a 18" bar.
I recently put a new chain on (Oregon 22LPX) Round Chisel Point.
When I first started using this chain it was great but recently it is creating a lot of very fine wood dust.
I touch up the chain either every tank or every other.
When it cuts it does throw nice big chips of wood so were is all the dust coming from?
Recently it is getting into the oilier area and impeding the flow of oil to the bar.
I use a Husqvarner file that has a flat file for rakers and a 3/16 round which this chain calls for.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

Sometimes there is no "fault". The species that you are cutting can make a difference. How deep you are cutting can make a difference (how well the cut is being cleared of chips), etc. I was just dropping a Norway maple on Sat. I had a weird combo of rabbit bedding (large chips) and finer dust. I was at the end of my 25" bar. Sometimes it just happens.

Some of the denser woods (White Oak,Hickory & especially Honey Locust or Osage Orange) you wont see lots of large chips,even with a new or razor sharp chain.This is even more so when the wood is extra dry instead of green.

Status
Not open for further replies.