Taming big rounds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tar12

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2016
Indiana
I don't turn any wood down and that includes trees up to 6 feet across. I found a way to tame these monster rounds that you can't move by hand. I have a Stihl MS 660 with the big bore kit and the key here is to run FULL CHISEL chain. The H.P. of this big saw coupled with the aggressive fast cutting full chisel chain makes short work of even the gnarliest rounds. Following is a short video of my son working on a fairly small oak. This is a sad story actually...this gentleman had lost almost every one of his big mature oaks in his yard due to a tornado. We were helping him clean up the aftermath for weeks.You will notice the cut lines in the rounds...one side will have a slab cut completely off...after the cuts have been made we then roll these onto the flat so the previous cut lines are horizontal and cut again...when you are done its setting there cut and stacked...

http://vid117.photobucket.com/albums/o74/Savagehead/IMG_0387_zpsqooqcndj.mp4

IMG_1548_zpskypzqbie.jpg

Last edited:
It is what most here refer to as noodling,
a very handy technique with big wood. i like your idea of positioning them for several cuts.

It is what most here refer to as noodling,
a very handy technique with big wood. i like your idea of positioning them for several cuts.
It just makes it so much faster and easier on your back. I started doing this when I was feeding a boiler. It made for a quick way to not only handle these big chunks but you can custom cut to suit your needs. I really appreciated those big ole heart wood chunks during severe weather...

"Easy on the back" is something every wood cutter is looking for. i learned of noodling a couple years ago and have shared with my wood cutting friends. sure beats swinging a sledge and watching wedges disappear just to end up sawing them out anyways.

Reactions: drz1050
"Easy on the back" is something every wood cutter is looking for. i learned of noodling a couple years ago and have shared with my wood cutting friends. sure beats swinging a sledge and watching wedges disappear just to end up sawing them out anyways.
Yes sir I have been there and done that...to many times....lol

Good looking stuff there! Big rounds means more splits with less walking win win for me. In my area having the tools to handle the big tree's will often give you opportunities others just can't handle.

Reactions: Tar12
Good looking stuff there! Big rounds means more splits with less walking win win for me. In my area having the tools to handle the big tree's will often give you opportunities others just can't handle.
The monster oak in the picture is a prime example. The tree had been dead for several years and nobody wanted it as it was 5 ft across the base.I drove by this tree for 2 years and started knocking on doors to find out who owned it. The owner was shocked that someone wanted to tackle it...lol He said are you sure you can handle that big of a tree? I assured him it would be gone in 2 days flat and it was. That 660 ate it up. That one tree produced a little over 4 cord of premium firewood. As a matter of fact that is what I will be feeding the Princess.

Reactions: Blazing
Same here 084 and a long blade make short work of biguns.

Same here 084 and a long blade make short work of biguns.
I ran a 84 and 88 and a 090 once...what a animal! I can't handle a saw that big anymore for any length of time...

Yes they are intimidating- 122cc and 4 ft of cutting length 404 chain of pure nasty.

Reactions: Jags