Need some help. don't think the clydesdale is going to fit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basod

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2009
Mount Cheaha Alabama
Well I almost pulled the trigger and as usual got myself worked up on th "BIG" purchase. I did some measurements after removing the old glass door surround. Firebox is 36wX20.5dX27t. The clyde will adjst from 17-13" in or out, this where my problem arises, the hearth is 21"deep. With the Clyde at 24+" less 17" for recess(max) I'm left with ~14" of hearth. I can't figure out from the Hearthstone pdf shematic if I need 18"(says for Canada), and where exactly the measurement is taken from (says front of firebox). Sorry the pdf is 511k can't attach
http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/wood-stoves/stove-details?product_id=16
Any idea on another insert or any input from Clydesdale owners would be helpful. All the other ones I liked, according to GF "block view" -you know the decorative grate in the door glass Like on Jotul models.

I believe the spec for a US install is 16" from the GLASS.
It should be specified in your manual.
If I was still at work,I'd be able to look thru our on-line manuals,
but I'm home now...

BASOD said:
Well I almost pulled the trigger and as usual got myself worked up on th "BIG" purchase. I did some measurements after removing the old glass door surround. Firebox is 36wX20.5dX27t. The clyde will adjst from 17-13" in or out, this where my problem arises, the hearth is 21"deep. With the Clyde at 24+" less 17" for recess(max) I'm left with ~14" of hearth. I can't figure out from the Hearthstone pdf shematic if I need 18"(says for Canada), and where exactly the measurement is taken from (says front of firebox). Sorry the pdf is 511k can't attach
http://www.hearthstonestoves.com/wood-stoves/stove-details?product_id=16
Any idea on another insert or any input from Clydesdale owners would be helpful. All the other ones I liked, according to GF "block view" -you know the decorative grate in the door glass Like on Jotul models.

so you'd be shy 2" of floor protection? pretty common "problem"
it is measured from the glass so perhaps reviewing the schematic in person would help??

I've printed schematic and reviewed the measurements. I wasn't sure where the depth measurement was taken from as the print shows a reference line different from the overall dimension line (if this makes sense). So the 16" clearance is from the true front of the glass or overall dimension. I tried to review the Hearthstone "Morgan" prints but I'm getting poor resolution on the old home dial up connection. Anyone have this stove or seen reviews on it? It appears to be the smaller brother of Clydesdale. I really wanted a stove that will take larger wood as most of mine is ~20".

Is your hearth raised? If it's flush to the floor, you may need to re-think your stove or alter your hearth to meet code because you need 16" out measured from glass. If the stove sits on a raised hearth, I believe you can get away with standard ember protection. Look at manual to be sure. Standard ember protection is something you can lie directly onto the floor that is against the brick hearth. I used a piece of brownstone that sits on a wool rug in front of a raised hearth.

The hearth is raised ~6.5". I wasn't sure if you could justify the distance with angle to floor. I've always kept a hearth rug on the floor to catch any cinders with the standard fireplace anyways. The flooring is the floating snap lock "wood look" laminate, cinders don't even mar the surface when they do get out. I was under the assumption the 16" hearth was in case of glass failure which I'd assume is an uncommon issue if wood is loaded correctly.

BASOD said:
The hearth is raised ~6.5". I wasn't sure if you could justify the distance with angle to floor. I've always kept a hearth rug on the floor to catch any cinders with the standard fireplace anyways. The flooring is the floating snap lock "wood look" laminate, cinders don't even mar the surface when they do get out. I was under the assumption the 16" hearth was in case of glass failure which I'd assume is an uncommon issue if wood is loaded correctly.

Take a look at my install pic's to see what I did. I confirmed this with the stove manufacturer, sweep and building inspector. It's basically making sure they all read and interpret the spec's in the manual correctly.

Stejus That is a nice looking install. Pretty stove too. Maybe i'll surf over hampton website, hadn't seen any of thier models yet.

With the Clydesdale its easy to adjust from a range of "door flush to the surround" to "sticking out approx 5" onto the hearth. So I guess that would be from 1" to 5" exposure measuring from the front glass taking the approx 1" exposure of the surround.

I just took a quick mneasurement on mine and the ash lip/blower assembly adds 5 inches out front measured from the glass

Thanks Bren, I guess hearthstone should add that dimension to their print. I was hard at work yesterday with the cutting torch removing some of the heatilator duct blocking entrance to to flue. I'll get some pics on here.

Mr. Heatilator.... Meet Mr. oxy-acetylene torch
cutting this thing out was a royal PIA and only one good cinder down my sleeve.
Had to cut the back plate out first to access further up. Going to need extra clearance for
the insulated liner. This heatexchanger duct was almost completely rotten in some areas.
The big pain was cuting piece from smoke shelf going up, all the chunks of extra mortar
that fell down the chimney during construction wouldn't let it blow through. They very tip
of the triangle peice was a stretch, wish i had a torch extension, kept inadvertantly turning
valves off when I was reaching up there.

Attachments

• before0001.jpg
    before0001.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg