Need some help, in what might be a problem.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakethepup

Aug 3, 2008
Central Kentucky
I had my insert installed Monday, and I have only ran the stove on low and it works just fine. Last night I was home alone and I thought I would burn the stove on high and get that new paint smell burnt off. At about 15 minutes while on high the led comes on it says the flue has reached high temp. and it turns the stove down not completely off, but until the fire is almost out then it will fire back up and run about 8 more minutes and do the same thing. If I turn it back to medium it will burn about 15 minutes the led will come back on, same thing happen the fire goes almost all the way out, then it will start back up burn about 15 minutes and I get the same results. Now it I turn it down on low, even after the Flue temp. LED comes on while in the high mode or medium setting it stove just contiues to burn without a problem. But if I select high or medium both setting do the same thing. The book says clean the stove and heat exchaner and so on which I have done. I did not clean the pipe because the pipe was just put in when they unstalled the insert.

I really doubt if this normaml, would like to hear some suggestions, for should I just call the dealer and see what he says.

Im wondering if there is some sort of obstruction in the pipe. Shipping stuff that may not have been taken out...etc....Other than that I would call the dealer for service. Was the stove put in by the dealer or qualified person?

mralias said:
Im wondering if there is some sort of obstruction in the pipe. Shipping stuff that may not have been taken out...etc....Other than that I would call the dealer for service. Was the stove put in by the dealer or qualified person?

Yes the stove was put in by a dealer so I guess I will call them on Tuesday and have come out and look at the stove. I think before he shows up. I am going to take the pellets out of the stove and put some in I bought at lowes to see if that makes any difference. I paid dearly for the install so I don't think I am going to check any pipe I think I will wait for the dealer to do that since I paid for a install.

Oh it is a Sierra insert.

Note, I took all the pellets out of the stove, vacummed the all the inside where the pellets go into the hopper and I put some pellets in I bought at lowes, and it did the same thing so it was not the pellets causing the problem, I cleaned every piece of the inside of the stove again.

Since the stove burns just fine on low, I thought I would let it burn for about 1 hour with the Lowes pellets and I see no difference in the way it burn. I also picked up two bags of pellets from the Tractor supply store and they are only 4.98 per bag I did not ask for a ton price. They also sell a brand that has cherry pits in them, I did not get them but I might try them too just to see if they are any good. But about every store I have been in the last few weeks has pellets in them so I don't think at least around here they are going to be hard to get. I am going to check at Walmart in the next couple of days to see if they have pellets in our store.

Thanks for your input so far. I guess like I said I will be calling the dealer who installed the stove and have them return and see what the problem is. But unless it is a flue problem, this is not a good sign that Sierra is a very good stove. Just have to wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.