Need some help with my Sthil 021

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snow4me

Hearth Supporter
Nov 24, 2008
S/E Michigan
Hey guys, I have a 12-14 year old Sthil 021 that I bought new and hardly ever used. I want to get it going again and wondered what I should do to it since I haven't used it in about 10 years (I ran it out of bar oil and smoked the bar and chain). I want to replace the bar and chain and need to know how long I can go and still have an efficient saw. I have two other 16 inch saws so I figured I could make this Sthil longer for the bigger stuff. I plan on new fuel lines, plug and filter. Also, is there an oil pump adjustment and should I mess with it?

Thanks!

try getting it running first on the old bar and chain. dump fuel, may need lines, filter and carb kit, but flush it out and try it. I'd change lines and filter because if it runs, but has some air leaks, going lean could sieze it up. Clip the carb screw stops and retune it as necessary.

size, 16 is plenty big for the 35 cc motor. You go long bar on small saws (under 50 cc or so) for reach when limbing on the ground, (don't have to reposition body and feet so much) not for handling big wood. Can cut bigger logs, but takes a real light touch. Yes, you could run a 20, but really really slow even in smaller wood. Couldn't pull the full 20 inch of chain in the wood. 20 or 22 inch Wild Things and Craftsmans are designed by marketing department, not by engineering. If you need that size more than a few hours per year, need a bigger saw to add to the lineup.

I run a 20 on my 026 (50+- cc) for the reach, cutting up to a foot in diameter maybe. But I also have a 20 bar that I use the most on the 79 cc dolmar, and it would pull a 28 nice, 32 with light touch.

keep the old bar and chain for stumps or work close to ground.

son has a 180 32 cc, and with narrow kerf chain and 14 inch bar, it keeps up with bigger saws in wood under about 8 inches. really sweet saw, nimble and light. Cuts way better with 14 or even 12 than with 16.

so I would get it running first, then change lines and filter, then run it on the old bar and chain (sharpened of course, and unless the bar is totally seized/trashed) and see how it pulls. Then if were me I'd go smaller to 14 narrow kerf chain, not bigger. You may find the other saws handle bigger bars and this does 90% of what you need but way faster and lighter.

k

1) 16" is max for the 021. You might check out the "specials" section at labonville.com - they have 14" and 16" Oregon bar/chain combos that fit the 021. It is 3/8" Low-Profile. Hopefully, your 021 is set up for that, if not you will need the appropriate drive sprocket. Also, Bailey's online has some good prices on Arbormax 16" bar/chain combos... the bar is probably not as nice as the Oregon, but the chain is non-safety. If you need a longer bar, you should probably get a bigger saw to pull it.

2) The 021 does not have an adjustable oiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.