Need some input before final buying decision

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spray25

Hearth Supporter
Nov 14, 2010
Idaho
I have been lurking around for a while, but it is time for my first post. I need some input on my final purchasing decision.

Late last winter I purchased a used Avanti Newport. It was basically my first venture into pellet stoves. I have been learning with it and I have found a few things I want to improve on and am looking to take advantage of the tax credit before it expires.

I am looking for the best bang for the buck and my budget is no large. The two biggest upgrades I am looking for are Hopper size and combustion air control. I want a hopper with a minimum capacity of 80 lbs and bigger is better. I do NOT like having to manually adjust combustion air on the Newport so auto is a must. I really DO like cleaning the Newport. When set properly I only open the stove every several days to knock the ash into the ash pan. About every ten days I clean it more thoroughly with a vacuum. I view that as pretty low maintenance.

I have looked at and/or researched several models. The ones on the short list seem to be The Big-E, the Enlgander 25-PAH, and the Quadrafire 1200.

The Big-E seems to get some pretty negative reviews so I have all but eliminated that one.

I really LOVE the ash pan on the 1200 as it basically covers the whole bottom area of the stove and the ash can’ really help but fall into it. Also, the burn pot cleans without ever opening the stove. The 1200 is the only of these that I have actually seen burn. Being twice as much as the 25PAH though and only an 80 lb hopper has me looking seriously at the 25PAH.

I have a couple of concerns about maintenance and cleaning on the 25PAH though. The ash pan looks very small and does not cover much of the bottom of the stove. There are also a number of holes, and nooks and crannies that look like they will require frequent vacuuming. Question for those with the PAH: what % of the ash actually makes I into the ash pan and is my fear of vacuuming correct? The burn pot also concerns me. My Newport and the 1200 both allow ash to fall out of the bottom of the burn put into the ash pan helping to keep them cleaned out. The PAH burn pot sets in a pretty small cradle that does not allow the ash to drop. I have no first had experience but it looks like this design will require a lot more effort to keep clean. Anyone able to confirm or deny this? Another advantage to the PAH is that I would buy it at Lowes and they have a pretty liberal return policy if I am unhappy with my purchase.

I am sorry for the long post, I am hoping the helpful folks here are able to give me some input.

I've have always been a big proponent of buying from a GOOD local dealer who has the knowledge to repair your stove AND the crew to do it.... that makes a big box store purchase a no-no....

BUT... Englander has a pretty good reputation here from several owners... and Mike from England Stove Works is an active member here and pretty much makes up for the lack of personal dealer support IF you are the kind of person who can do some basic trouble-shooting and parts installations yourself.

If your budget is tight (like mine is) I would not hesitate to consider a stove by England Stove Works....

I bought a USED St. Croix from my local dealer who gave me a one year warranty with the stove and it has been pretty much bulletproof for more than three heating seasons... you don't have to spend $3500.00 to keep warm...

Thank you for the input Krooser. You are correct that a good dealer is important. Unfortunately, there is only one dealer within 2 hours of me and he only sells Lopi. $4,000 for their big model is just not in the budget :-(

I am very mechanically inclined and very good at trouble shooting. I came up with one more question... I see anywhere from 24k btu to 42k btu listed for the 25PAH. Which is it? I can't find anywhere how many pounds per hour is will go through on high. My Newport says 3.5 per hour.

The 42k BTU means somewhere around 5 lbs an hour.

You could ask England Stove Works.

Spray25 said:
......I came up with one more question... I see anywhere from 24k btu to 42k btu listed for the 25PAH. Which is it? I can't find anywhere how many pounds per hour is will go through on high. .......

This is directly from the Owners manual for the 25-PAH:

Heating Specifications
• Heat Output Range** ............................................ 11,000 BTU/hr – 25,000 BTU/hr
• Approximate Pellet Burn Rate** ...............................................1.6 lb/hr – 4.0 lb/hr
• Maximum Burn Time** .............................................................................. 72 hours
• Approximate Square Footage Heated*** ..................................... 800 ‐ 2000 sq. ft.
• Hopper Capacity..................................................................................... 120 pounds

** ‐ Heat output, burn rate and maximum burn time are heavily dependent on the type of pellets burned in the stove; as such, these numbers may vary.

*** ‐ The maximum heating capacity of this unit can vary greatly based on climate, construction style, insulation and a myriad of other factors. Use this information in conjunction with a BTU loss calculation for your home to determine if this unit will be sufficient for your needs.

I help you fully eliminate the bigE as it doesn't automatically adjust the combustion blower. So you'd be no better off than the Newport.

One other thing on the BTU's is its a gross BTU rating. You would need to deduct the stoves efficiency rating to get a corrected BTU rating. Example of a 45,000 BTU rated stove at 75% efficiency So you would have to subtract 25% from the 45,000 BTUs. So the stove would roughly only put 33,750 BTU's in the room. If you did well with the Newport I would stay close or more than the rated BTU's of that stove. Of coarse I am a more is better guy anyway! I like to be sure I have more than enough heat!

Interesting that England Stove Works listed the OUTPUT for that stove instead of input BTUs.

And yes that figure can be all over the place because of the difference in the quality of the pellets burned.

Oh and another thing is that while pellets are sold by weight, the stoves actually deliver the fuel by volume.

I really like my CB1200, other than feed rate, fan speed and heat output, nothing to adjust.
It was a shot in the dark when I bought it, knew nothing, boy did I luck out.

Status
Not open for further replies.