1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

need something for in law apt.

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by dcouture29, Jan 14, 2013.

1. dcouture29

dcouture29 Member

Loc:
    Midcoast maine
    I'm building an in law above my garage 24x28. It'll be mostly used in the summer but will be used on an occasional weekend during winter.

I've been looking around for a source of heat that can accomodate my needs. I'm looking at everything except oil.

Preferably, I'd like something that could keep the place at 45-50 degrees during the time it's not in use, so I'd like something that I could set a thermostat low. I think propane might be my best option but don't really know what to buy. Looking for any advice.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    What you need will depend on how much insulation you're gonna have in the walls & ceilings. If it's well insulated, you can get by with a relatively small unit. If you buy a larger one, it won't be a problem to turn it down, but it will have the added "oomph" to heat you when it's frigid outside. I have a 26 x 26 garage with a studio above it & although I installed a stove in one of the bays & built an insulated wall between them, it still has a concrete floor.
    I put in a Jotul GF600 Firelight (40K BTU input) & it did the job very well. I had it controlled with a Skytech 3301 remote thermostat so it could be turned down when the occupants were at work.
  3. dcouture29

dcouture29 Member

Loc:
    Midcoast maine
    Thanks for the suggestion Daksy. I'm going to look into the Jotul or an equivalent.
  4. tbuff

tbuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central NJ
    Are you going to have domestic hot water in the apt? If so maybe a small high efficiency boiler with domestic hot feed. I'm guessing propane if nat gas isn't an option.
  5. dcouture29

dcouture29 Member

Loc:
    Midcoast maine
    Tbuff. I'm getting domestic off the oil boiler in the house. I don't want to do baseboards because I'm not interested in keeping the temps at a constant 50+ temp. Propane is an option and is where i'm leaning.
  6. tbuff

tbuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central NJ
    I know it's not a popular option, but if he apt is well insulated, electric baseboard would probably cost less to install and run then some other options. If you plan to put A/c in the apt, have you considered a heat pump with electric aux heat?