Need to fell a 70' maple and drop it in a 10' wide spot...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LLigetfa said:
ilikewood said:
(Although, stay away from cutting on the windy days :)
LOL

I've actually waited for a windy day so that the wind would work to my advantage. Don't try this if the risk is too great of it falling on something valuable.
same here most days are windy here! I used the rope deal this Sunday the tree was hollow and the wedgeds wouldn't lift the tree, but instead of a truck we used a come-along

Apprentice_GM said:
In hindsight BB, or for your next similar fall, would you do anything differently, or was this just really bad luck you don't think anything could have been done to prevent? I mean, it's such a hassle to climb, trim and top a tree to prevent such an unlikely base cut bad fall.

I was just overdue. :red: Every tree I cut is done a little differently due to location, lean, number or beers etc.

Hi ....It's late and I didn't read all before...maybe you've cut your tree and maybe someone mentioned this...you could plunge cut it.....cut your notch then plunge your saw through the side of the tree...usually from both sides and clear out the middle of the tree....drive in wedges...then do your back cut... the tree will just stand there...or should..... until you start hammering in the wedges....nice still day and it doesn't know it's been cut......always great to be able to tie off or pull.....good to practise this with smaller trees!!!have a friend who's pro at this.... ....Have fun...

Status
Not open for further replies.