1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Need to fell a 70' maple and drop it in a 10' wide spot...

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by wldm09, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    same here most days are windy here! I used the rope deal this Sunday the tree was hollow and the wedgeds wouldn't lift the tree, but instead of a truck we used a come-along

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I was just overdue. :red: Every tree I cut is done a little differently due to location, lean, number or beers etc.
  3. btwncentres

btwncentres New Member

Loc:
    Dummer Twnshp, Canada
    Hi ....It's late and I didn't read all before...maybe you've cut your tree and maybe someone mentioned this...you could plunge cut it.....cut your notch then plunge your saw through the side of the tree...usually from both sides and clear out the middle of the tree....drive in wedges...then do your back cut... the tree will just stand there...or should..... until you start hammering in the wedges....nice still day and it doesn't know it's been cut......always great to be able to tie off or pull.....good to practise this with smaller trees!!!have a friend who's pro at this.... ....Have fun...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.