Need to know how to cap off an old stove vent on the interior

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sunandstarsgirl

Hearth Supporter
Feb 16, 2009
Baltimore
Hi - I moved into a house that used to have a pellet stove that was vented out through the ceiling of the house. However, the stove is now gone, and I need to cap off the interior in the ceiling. There is already a cap on the exterior roof, however, there's just a big hole in the ceiling. What is the proper term for the cap or plate that would go on the interior to cap off the pipe, and where can I find one????
Many, many thanks - I've spent hours searching on the internet in vain!!

Is there any pipe left over, or just the empty passage where it used to be?

Welcome to the forum, BTW :D

Lowe's and some Ace Hardware stores have Imperial brand stove pipe caps. Lowe's usually has them in the duct work isle. They come in six inch and eight inch. If what is sticking out is single wall pipe one of them will work great for about nine bucks.

Might be smaller pipe if it was a pellet stove. Rick

Thanks SO much! Using Imperial as the search term, I found that the thing that I'm looking for is called a flue stop!! You have been incredibly helpful.
Hope you have a great day!
:)

OK I gotta ask - one would expect it to be a Good Idea to pack the pipe w/ insulation of some sort before blocking it off, right?

And - presuming it's use is being semi-permanently discontinued - could one do something slightly fancier w/ one of those foam or plaster medallions around the pipe?

And if full permanent disabling is in the mix, why not cut off or bend/mash that stub end of pipe back up into the ceiling and do a proper fix w/ a little scrap of sheetrock and some firring?

Status
Not open for further replies.