NEED YOUR HELP REDUCED CLEARANCES

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James04

Hearth Supporter
Oct 18, 2007
Eastern Ct
I am about to install my stove and need some help. If I am not mistaken NFPA211 allows you to cut the manufacturers clearances in half. However I recall seeing something that said the minimum clearance to combustibles is 12". I am installing the Harman TL300. The spec sheet can be seen here http://www.harmanstoves.com/specifications.asp?id=50 . I would like to get 10 inches at the back of the stove but will settle for 12". My problem started yesterday when I spoke with the inspector and he said what ever the manufacturer says is ok with him. Problem is Harman says nothing about reduced clearances. He then suggests just call the manufacturer. Ya rite! Anyway the dealer says all I need to do to cut clearances in half is the 1" space behind the durock. This is what I was planing. Sorry if this is wondering around a bit. I wanted to get it posted before some of you left for work this morning.

Anyway. What I would like from the group. Can you provide me with some info that I can present to the inspector that show 12" or even 10" is ok.
If I am not mistaken this stove only requires spark protection for the floor (no R value). Please see the link above if you have time.

James

Enord,

The flue pipe is 6" further in from the back of the stove. So if I went to 12" at the back of the stove that would still be 18" to the flue pipe. Does the wall heat shield not allow for the flue pipes clearances to be reduced? I my case 16" would be all I desire.

james

According to the NFPA 211 a code not fully recognized by our international governing ,body therefore the inspector is not bound by that code.

However there is similar language in the International Mechanical codes which he is.

both only allow up to 12" clearance reduction and no less ant if you continued the protection up the wall behind that pip you can reduce it to the 16" you ask

what you need to do is show him the proof of the code allowance reductions which I will try to e-mail you send me a pm with your email address

Elk,

I PM'd you. I do plan to go up the the ceiling with the heat shield. Minus one inch for air flow. So 12" from the back of the stove to combustibles is as close as can get. Ok. That is what I thought it was going to be. 10" would have been nice but not totally needed. By the way I pan to do the same at the side of the stove (12").

James

I don't recall were I read or heard it. But recall that it was necessary to use small pieces versus full length strips to pad out the wall. I hope that is correct as it probably cost me an extra 2 hrs to cut all the pieces and pre drill them so that they wouldn't break apart when nailing them up. The USG web site says to use strips.

Regarding no screws in the area behind the stove. Is that only for when the screws will be exposed? Like when using sheet metal. Or is it a must even when going over it with stone or tile?

Elk,
Have you tried to email me the attachment? I haven't received anything.

James

I was trying to post a photo with that.

Attachments

• PB073834.bmp
    335.4 KB · Views: 344
the greatest area of heat transfere will happen directly behind the stove. Thats why no screws w should be placed behind the stove there is no language or exceptions should the heads be covered up. I would have cut 1" pieces of coper pipe for my spacers. The only requirement is that the spacers be at least 1" and be of non combustible material I got busy last night and all the material is sitting in my lap top where I will attempt a direct cut and paste email to you

I have the entire 2006 International codes on a cd which includes the gas plumbing mechanical building codes and some fire codes. I also have the entire NFPA codes on another CD including the oil burner codes NFPA 211 plus all the fire codes and procedures including Alarms sprinklers HAzmat everything.

James04 said:
I don't recall were I read or heard it. But recall that it was necessary to use small pieces versus full length strips to pad out the wall. I hope that is correct as it probably cost me an extra 2 hrs to cut all the pieces and pre drill them so that they wouldn't break apart when nailing them up. The USG web site says to use strips.

Regarding no screws in the area behind the stove. Is that only for when the screws will be exposed? Like when using sheet metal. Or is it a must even when going over it with stone or tile?

Elk,
Have you tried to email me the attachment? I haven't received anything.

James

The strips should have been long, cut off the end of the sheet into 3" x 48" strips with none directly behind the stove pipe. There is a diagram on the PDF on the USG site. Maybe I'm not following, but first there should have been a covering layer of sheetrock on the wall. Otherwise the air cavity is exposed to the interior of the wall.

Elk,

I have been emailing and PMing you but, haven't received any response. The email you sent had no attachment. Could you please try sending it again.

James

Is there anyone else who knows were I can get information regarding reduced clearances. I have apparently offended Elk in some way. I surely don't know how. He is not responding. I have been putting off working on this in anticipation of the information being emailed to me. Especially since Begreen has raised the point about having sheet rock on the studs prior to creating the air space. I have tried doing a search but have not found any links or any actual code being posted.

On another note. If the codes are rules that the public must follow (no problem with that). Then why is it not public information. In other words why do you need to pay for this information?

James

Try calling the local library and see if they have a copy of the code book.

My stove shop gave me a Xerox of the needed information (have you tried them)

Those are both good ideas. Only I think the library may be a very slim chance. I live in a small rural town. Ill give the dealer a call tomorrow.

James

James04 said:
Is there anyone else who knows were I can get information regarding reduced clearances. I have apparently offended Elk in some way. I surely don't know how. He is not responding. I have been putting off working on this in anticipation of the information being emailed to me. Especially since Begreen has raised the point about having sheet rock on the studs prior to creating the air space. I have tried doing a search but have not found any links or any actual code being posted.

On another note. If the codes are rules that the public must follow (no problem with that). Then why is it not public information. In other words why do you need to pay for this information?

James

I can understand Elk not replying, this may not be in code. There are grey areas that just make one ask why. Do you want a stud cavity open? I don't think it is against code, but ?? There needs to be an air gap at the top and bottom of the heatshield for convection cooling. That leaves a raw plate and the beginnings of the wall studs exposed. If that's ok, then have at it. Maybe I am missing a part of the finished vision for this wall.

I trying to figure out how to compress the info all attempts to e-mail them to you are rejected due to a size limitation If you PM me your address I can photo copy them and send them to you

Status
Not open for further replies.