1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Neep help W/ expansion

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by longboarder2, Nov 19, 2012.

1. longboarder2

longboarder2 New Member

Loc:
    southern NJ
    avc; youre right: it is like a hobby and continuing education. around here, some folks have outdoor shed boilers---i'm the only one i know using and indoor add-on. the outdoor boiler mentality locally is to stuff it full of wood once in the morning and once at night and let the boiler controls do the rest. after my fire chim. fire last year, i learned quickly that was not the right approach. at least not for my application. i'm up for the challenge---and anything that cuts my oil consumption in half (short-term goal for this year)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. avc8130

avc8130 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    God's Gift to Gassification
    www.pexsupply.com

They are right in Long Island and have awesome prices and service. I ordered my tank on Monday from them for $106 shipped, had it Tuesday. The local supply house wanted $180 plus tax.

ac
  3. longboarder2

longboarder2 New Member

Loc:
    southern NJ
    #60 extrol and scoop going in tomorrow. burning thurs night. will post results. thanks for the help.

next battle: flue temp.
  4. longboarder2

longboarder2 New Member

Loc:
    southern NJ
    boiler3.JPG installed the expansion tank today. fired up about an hour ago--ran the water temp up to 190 and did a 500' burnout on the flue pipe for 20 min.----pressure never got over 20! thanks for all the help guys! fugured that since a few guys asked, i'd include a few pics of my system. lemme' know whatchathink.

boiler.JPG boiler.JPG

boiler4.JPG boiler2.JPG
  5. avc8130

avc8130 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    I'm very glad the expansion tank worked out for you (I knew it would). Happy burning!

ac
  6. longboarder2

longboarder2 New Member

Loc:
    southern NJ
    yeah. last night was the first night burning w/ it---pressure hovered around 18-20 all night. still a bit high in my opinion. between the scoop and the spirovent, all of the air should now be purged out. i re-lit at 5am and let that burnout around 11ish---just re-fired for the night and i'm waiting to see where my pressure ends up now that its had a chance to run and balance out.
  7. avc8130

avc8130 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    18-20 is fine. Enjoy your fire!

ac