Neighboorhood scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ailanthus

Feeling the Heat
Feb 17, 2012
Shen Valley, VA
Soon after we had our first woodstove installed in January, my wife was talking to an elderly neighbor across the street & finds out she has an old shed with 'some old pine' that needs to be moved out. It's mine if I want it. Her son even lets me borrow his truck so I don't have to maneuver my trailer back to the shed at the back of their property. When I go to start hauling it away, the shed is about 12'x12', wood thrown in a pile nearly to the rafters (wish I had a picture). The next thing I notice is that this is not pine. ~75% black locust , 25% oak & mixed other stuff. Then they tell me it's been there for around 20 years & I can tell it's bone dry (wish I had a meter). The amount of dust from underneath the bark is incredible. It stacked out to around 2+ cord, though I didn't measure it. Part of it went into my barn, & part into the woodshed for next year (only part of what's in the 2nd photo was from this scrounge):

2012-04-11_19-37-52_865.jpg2012-04-11_19-40-05_74.jpg

With some of the anecdotes out there about BL burning too hot & ruining woodstoves, this stuff has me a little nervous. From what I understand, these metal-roofed sheds can act like a kiln & equilibrating to a moderate moisture level kind of goes out the window. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to have it, just gonna be really careful, when the time comes to burn it. You can be sure it'll be reserved for the coldest of the cold days. Forum member 'red oak' has already offered to haul this dangerous wood away for me, but I think I'll take my chances!

Nice Score. I burnt some BL last year and it burnt pretty hot. One of the things that i did was to mix it with some maple and other not so dense woods. I love BL. I have a nice amount which will be ready for the winter.

Reactions: ScotO
Only dangerous thing about BL is the stampede of Hearth.com members headed your way to relieve you of this "dangerous" fuel.

Reactions: tfdchief and ScotO
That's great! I scored my first honey locust a couple weeks ago. We'll see how that burns in a couple years. I've never burned Honey Locust before, but the hearth.com folks seem to rave over BL and HL.

Now, I have been noticing locust trees in people's yards. I didn't even know locust grew in Oregon. It seems it's only planted in yards, and is not native species here. And it splits SO much easier than oak, wow.

I bet that 20 year barn seasoned wood will just be AWESOME, yes I got excited there with the CAPS! :)

With some of the anecdotes out there about BL burning too hot & ruining woodstoves, this stuff has me a little nervous. From what I understand, these metal-roofed sheds can act like a kiln & equilibrating to a moderate moisture level kind of goes out the window.
I haven't burned a full load of BL yet, just put a few splits in the bottom of a load, and it was just normally dried outside, but it didn't seem to burn a lot hotter than other woods. Maybe 50* higher stove top temp. I haven't burned Hedge yet, but I think that it would be the one that might get away from you, more than BL would...

Awesome "Pine" score! ==c

ailanthus -

what an amazing score! its like finding an antique. any wood that's real (overly) dry is reason to pay attention. as already been said here, just mix it in, it'll be so sweet.

OT

That shed may have dried the wood below equilibrium moisture content during the summer, but the wood won't stay that dry forever. During the winter if it is in the unheated shed it will absorb moisture and head back toward a more normal moisture content. I have yet to find firewood that is too dry here.

That shed may have dried the wood below equilibrium moisture content during the summer, but the wood won't stay that dry forever. During the winter if it is in the unheated shed it will absorb moisture and head back toward a more normal moisture content. I have yet to find firewood that is too dry here.

Maybe you're right. This is one of those times a moisture meter would be interesting to have - I don't want to buy one & I know I don't really need one, but eventually my curiosity will probably get the best of me...

What a great haul! I noticed your location is listed as Shen Valley, VA. I spent my college days at Eastern Mennonite University in Harrisonburg. The valley has some great views.

I've never burned Honey Locust before, but the hearth.com folks seem to rave over BL and HL.
It's the best in my book. Honey locust is fantastic, black locust just a tad better. Best woods I ever burned, I have tons of it.

Caution is always good when burning somehimg unfamiliar, but I doubt you'll have any problems with that stuff. I also predict you'll see your longest burn times ever!

The times that our stove was loaded with both red oak and black locust for comparison, the locust always outlasted the oak. Outstanding score you got there.. happy burning!

2 nice scores !

Very nice to get some 20 year old wood that's been inside.
Almost as old a BackwoodsSavages's wood LOL :)

With real dry wood keep an eye on the burn, may need to pinch down the air.
Not much lost BTUs with wood that dry.

A MM is the same for me, don't have one, & no real need, but sometimes I'm curious how dry the wood is.
I can see getting one when I'm out & remember.

Nice score, congrats. I burned BL a bit last winter and noticed the undeniable heat but also the burn times and coal beds still deep in the morning. I wonder how much hotter the similarly seasoned BL burns compared to say red oak or hard maple? I am guessing, but I bet not that much hotter, just longer. Also, does anyone notice how BL kinds stinks when it burns? It seems to have a deep pungent burnt odor. the stuff I burned was not super-dry like 20 year old shed wood but around 18-19%.
Also, also- it is one of my all time favorites since you feel like Paul Bunyon when you whack a huge round with a maul!

Nice score ailanthus! Hope we get a real winter in the valley this year to get that locust goin'

Nice score for sure - I would love to have that much BL. Agree with the previous post, here in the valley we didn't have reason to burn much of it last year, so hopefully that changes this year. Agree with the other posts about mixing in BL with some other wood also.

Ailanthas I must check out that BL score every time I visit - it is like a piece of art!

Status
Not open for further replies.