Neighbor had a Chimney fire...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I came home from out of town Sat.afternoon and was talking with my wife, and she started explaining to me how she was coming home Friday night at dusk and noticed a mass of sparks, black smoke accompanied by an occasional flame coming from the neighbors chimney about 300 yards off thru the woods. I asked her, was she sure, it just wasn't a couple of rouge sparks or something, she said, no, it was alot of sparks, some flame and heavy black smoke and it was shooting up, not like normal smoke that would come out of a chimney, and it lasted about 15 minutes.

She said she went over there and the 19 year old daughter had just started a fire in their FPX. The daughter said the fire was going really good and asked what the problem might be? My wife just told her to watch that thing.

I went over there yesterday night and told the mother (father lives a away now, couple is getting divorced....) that we're pretty sure they had a chimney fire and they should probably stop burning until they can check it out.
They are gettin' divorced, the house is for sale, they don't have extra money and they are really trying to use that FPX as much as possible to heat to save on propane.
Now, I know their burning habits, when they were together, the guy would basically cut his wood in late summer, early fall for burning that season. Some standing deadwood, some greenwood. Then he gets this pressboard type scrap wood stuff, some byproduct from a place where his buddy works or something, but it has a fair amount of glue in it, and mixes that in. The daughter had started a fire with basically just the pressboard.
Add to that, that FPX was installed late 90's and they have never replaced the cat on it and he's told me he's damaged it a couple times with logs and he's tried to take it out to clean it and "alot of metal was falling out of it", that was 2 years ago.
I've told him, that cat is designed to be replaced every few years or so, especially considering the wood he's burning. He just looked at me, and asked me "Do you know how much they want for these, I went and asked, and they wanted a few hundren bucks for it, so I just cleaned it and put it back in"

They don't seem to listen to common sense, I suggested 2 years ago that the cat should probably be replaced, or at least take it in to the FPX place and let them look at it. I've told him his stove probably doesn't do too well with the greenwood he burns, but they are just, well, it's all we got to heat, we can't afford the propane. Every time I've been in there, including last night, the fire is just a small flame and mostly smoldering. There's smoke coming out of that chimney a fair amount of the time.
That thing was still burning this morning and this afternoon. I might go back over there and offer to check it out for them, it's not too bad to get up there. I just know though, with the wood supply they use, it's gonna be trouble for them.

Not sure what more you can really do. Offer the check the chimney and give your opinion and see what they do. Maybe offer to sweep it?

Man, that fellow sounds like a danger to the neighborhood, nevermind himself and his family. Send him here for a dope slap.

Well... the house didn't start on fire and I bet the chimney is all cleaned up for the season now... :/

Or, it could look like the one I inspected the other day. The chimney looked good from the ground, the insert looked good enough, took a look down the flue and it wasn't there! This had a violent flue fire, the entire stack of 13"x13"tiles fell over inside the chimney! Unbelievable. Could have been a catastrophe if someone started a fire. :ahhh:

73blazer, you are in a much better position than most of us. Do you think this a family you think we should offer some help? Birch Run is a fair distance from us (we live near Marion Springs) but I will help if needed.

What BS said - I would dive right in and see if they would take some help. At least you could give that chimney a quick cleaning and shine a light in it to see what is going on. I don't even know if that stove is better without the cat in as opposed to if it is a crumbling mess.

I have recently injected myself into conversations on some installs and definitely 'enlightened' some folks. Even let them know where to get the right parts...

Good Luck.

Buying a replacement cat may be expensive . . . buying a new home is even more expensive . . . unfortunately some folks just don't get it . . . but that's OK . . . that's job security for folks like Colebrook and TFDchief.

Backwoods Savage said:
73blazer, you are in a much better position than most of us. Do you think this a family you think we should offer some help? Birch Run is a fair distance from us (we live near Marion Springs) but I will help if needed.

I think they ran out of wood because I haven't seen smoke from there for the last 24hrs or so. I think they are going somewhere for Christmas so I'll ask them if it's ok if go up there and check it out. Although, the chimney's probably clean now, so I guess I'd just be looking for some kind of compromise in the metal flue. It's only about 20' tall and no elbows so should be able to get a good look at it.

The biggest issue is convincing them that their wood supply needs help. They've been burning for years that way and, I've tried before, they just don't listen, they've been burning for years that way and who am I to tell them that 2 weeks of seasoning isn't enough. I don't have enough to trade, they don't really have anything to trade anyway, they cut as they go, there's never more than a couple face cords there. My other neighbor to the north has 20+ cord, half rounds half split, mabey I can talk to him and see if he's willing to trade some seasoned wood and we can go cut whatever was gonna get cut and he can have that in trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.