Neighbor lady's downed Oak tree (Photo heavy)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I started working on a downed oak that is in the front yard of a widow down the road a bit. Looks like a pin oak. The diameter of the trunk averages about 27 inches. It broke off about two feet above the ground and came to rest on three limbs planted firmly on the ground. There is another fairly large limb that snagged on a neighboring tree.

I cleaned out all the limbs that were on or near the ground, diameter of these bucks range from three to eight inches. Got maybe a 1/3 cord from the limbs. After clearing the area I gingerly began to work on the three limbs that were holding the trunk up. One by one I was able to remove all three of these limbs and discovered that virtually all the weight of this tree is suspended by the one large limb whose smaller branches are entangled in the adjacent tree. The point where this one remaining attached limb is above my head. I considered cutting into the limb a little bit, hoping that I could weaken it enough that it would eventually fall in the strong winds we have been having for so long. But I just couldn't see standing under that huge trunk and trying to weaken the one thing holding it up.
On the butt end, I severed all contact between the trunk and the shattered stump. The butt end settled down just a few inches. I'm really not sure how to progress from here. Perhaps used my tractor and a long chain and try to pull the snag out?
Maybe work from the butt end up?

Following are several pictures. Near the end are some close ups of the bark, interior grain and some leaves. Pretty sure it's pin oak. Besides Water Oak and a few Live Oaks, Pin Oak is about the only Oak trees we have around here.

d1.jpg

Below: The trunk is hollow a few feet up.

d2.jpg

d3.jpg

d5.jpg

Below: This snag is the only thing holding the tree up.

d4.jpg

Below: another shot of the one supporting branch. I would have to stand under the trunk to cut it.

d6.jpg

Below: I can easily stand under this suspended tree trunk.

d7.jpg

Below: Can you confirm the tree I.D. from the following three photos?

d8.jpg

d10.jpg

d11.jpg

Below: My take so far. Still a lot of wood to be had if I can get that tree down.

d9.jpg

d13.jpg

I'm guessing its one of the White Oaks,going by the rounded leaf lobes. Looks like the pics of Post Oak with maltese-cross shaped leaves according to my Audubon Field Guide Eastern Region.Post Oak (and Water Oak,among others) are native to your part of Texas,over 1/2 the state infact.

Thistle, we have a ton of water oaks around here and that is, indeed, my favorite tree to burn. So easy to split with that straight grain. Very differently leaf and bark from this one, though. You're probably right about Post Oak.

I would cut the trunk near the end of the tree now close to the part that is snagged. I would piece the trunk into a couple of more workable sections and try and carefully pull down the snag with you your tractor.

MarkinNC said:
I would cut the trunk near the end of the tree now close to the part that is snagged. I would piece the trunk into a couple of more workable sections and try and carefully pull down the snag with you your tractor.

Mark, the trunk where it connects to the branch that is snagged is about six feet up in the air. That is, the bottom of the trunk at that point is six foot up. I would have to hold the saw over my head and stand virtually beneath the trunk. If I do this, as soon as I saw completely through the trunk, it falls on my head.

Not the outcome I am looking for.

If I start sectioning the trunk from the butt end it only has a foot or so to fall. The trunk is level but the ground falls away at the snag end.

Tell her youll have to drop the tree its hung in for safety reasons. You just doubled your harvest.

If you clean the butt end and what's left of the stump, could you throw a chain around the butt and pull it to the side?

Either chain it at the trunk and pull it down with your tractor or chain it off at the trunk and snagged limb and then get in your tracot's bucket so you have a stable raised platform from which to cut the snagged limb.

I'd say chaining it and dragging the whole thing down is preferential because you're not leaving behind a potential safety hazard with the snagged limb...nor are you leaving behind any good burning wood.

Kenster, I can assure you that is definitely not a pin oak. Indeed it is a white oak but it is different from what we have around here.

You have it right by cutting from the butt end. Get as much weight off as possible before cutting the limbs. Just be sure where the logs will drop and make sure your feet are not in line with the fall. Once you reach that first limb (or maybe before that because of the height) then I would go to the very top of the tree to start cutting more. When you cut the limbs, rather than cutting them off right at the tree, start your cutting towards the end of the limb and work your way up from there and you won't have to be so concerned about the tree rolling where you don't want it to roll; mainly to not roll at you!

Dennis, as you can see in the pics, I've already removed all of the limbs, except for the snagged one. In hindsight, I can now see that it would have been better to cut the snagged limb, then start working on the three other limbs that were serving as legs, holding up the trunk. When I cut the three legs there really wasn't much weight on them because everything was supported by the snagged limb. I did start where the "leg" limbs were resting on the ground, and work up toward the trunk.

If I had cut the snag first, I could pretty safely have worked on the other three limbs. At least made some slices to weaken them, then I could have pulled on it with tractor and a long chain until the "legs" collapsed and the tree was on the ground.

What I think I'll do now is to start cutting at the butt end. One a get a few sections out, I should be able to swing the butt end with the tractor/chain.
Hopefully, that will pull the snag loose.

I'll update after I give it a try. I'm going back this morning to remove my cuttings from yesterday. Probably two pickup loads just from the limbs.

Sweeet Score. No shortage of trees around that place.

Kenster said:
What I think I'll do now is to start cutting at the butt end. One a get a few sections out, I should be able to swing the butt end with the tractor/chain.
Hopefully, that will pull the snag loose.

That seems to me like the best, safest way to go. You do the cutting closet o the ground and as far away from the snag as possible. Then pull the rest down in the relative safety of the tractor still as far away as possible from the snag. That's the way the show to handle trees like these in the books.

smokinjay said:
Sweeet Score. No shortage of trees around that place.

No sir. Lots of trees. Virtually all oak and hickory. Some cedar and pecan.

The lady told me that another big oak is down on the back side of her property and I can have that if I want. She also pointed out several large, nicely bucked stacks spread out around the property. She said "You can have it all but I don't know if you want it. It's all oak but it's been sitting out there in the sun for four or five years."

I told her I could "probably" use it. '-)

That 4 or 5 year old stuff is probably gone stale by now. You should be a good neighbor and incinerate it for her.

Kenster, with that much wood you should move further north so you can burn it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.