Nephew wants woodstove advice.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Lives off the grid in Holmes County Ohio, 150 year old home on 40 acres of hardwood, looking at possibly an Osborne 3500 likes the BK, I have but would be too much for kids to use etc. What are realistic burn times on this unit? and is it a good unit. Money isn't an issue as he does well in his business. Any suggestions, non cat only.

Personally I'd get the 3300 over the 3500, the firebox is more square compared to the pancake style firebox of the 3500. There are some reviews of the 3300 on here, you should have enough coals left over after 10 hrs to get another fire going.

Another option, albeit smaller than both the Osburns, would be the PE summit.

I have the osburn 3300.its cold here in winter and I only have softwood pine to burn.i can load the stove up north/ south at 8 at night and lots of hot coals at 6 In the morning. I only have 860 sq ft but went with a big stove as I'm in a poorly insulated cottage that I never thought I would be living in.

I also have the 3300 in a basement location. Stove runs 24/7 and after learning how to burn it, a good heater. I haven't turning my first floor heat on in weeks and keeps the house between 68-71 in a partially insulated basement. I can load it at 7 or 8pm and still need to burn down coals at 6am for a reload. I am sure there are many stoves that could do the job though.

I also have the 3300 in a basement location. Stove runs 24/7 and after learning how to burn it, a good heater. I haven't turning my first floor heat on in weeks and keeps the house between 68-71 in a partially insulated basement. I can load it at 7 or 8pm and still need to burn down coals at 6am for a reload. I am sure there are many stoves that could do the job though.
He's now looking at a Pacific Energy Summit, and comparing.