Never bought wood before, but?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andybaker

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 31, 2008
Northwest OH
I've never bought any wood before but I ran into a situation where I can get some wood delivered for $50. Got a call yesterday, I could have got a load of dead American Elm, 5' high and 21' long in 8' lengths brought in and unloaded. What do you guys think? I think I'd spend nearly that finding, going, cutting and hauling it home anyway. I turned it down yesterday, he says he has a load of Oak and some Cherry coming up in about a week. I think I'll go for it. He told me a typical load is anywhere from 6-8 cords.

$50 for the whole load? Be crazy not to take it.

Yeah, kinda what I'm thinking. He says the $50 is just for the drivers time, like a tip. He gives all his wood away anyway. I could even take my trailer there and he'd fill it up and when I see it's full, just take it home and bring it back and do it all over again. Or, go there and rumage through what they dump and take what I want. I think I like the big load though.

I've never bought wood either, but if somebody dropped off 6 cords of logs at my house for $50, I'd never drop another tree.

seems like a no brainer to me, as long as you have the space to process and store it! which i do not:(

imo you lucked out letting someone else get the elm. But yeah it does sound like a good buy on the oak and cherry coming up.

I'd gladly pay $50 for a load, even if it were elm. The oak and cherry are an even better deal. No way you could cut your own for $50, although I think there are reasons to cut your own besides just saving money.

I would give him $150 and a case of beer in less than a heartbeat and take them all. I would then invite a friend over, have him help split (the wood and the tab) and then tell the wood guy to come back anytime...I would only stop once I was so far ahead I was running out of storage room.

Even if you found wood within a short distance, for that much wood would easily be 5-6 trips. Even if you had a super efficient truck, you are looking at fuel alone in that ballpark...and that is if all the scores were that close. Heck - even the time dropping that many in your back yard would be a day...to limb them, get rid of the debris and assuming nothing got hung up. For me...assuming a days work at 10 hours....my time is worth more than $5 an hour.

I would call that a score and take it quick before someone else does. I feel as if 70% of my labor is just getting the tree down, the limbs cut off and to a place flat enough to buck it and split it! So for me it would be a no brainer!

I thought I was doing well when I found a tree guy working around the corner about 4-5 blocks away and he charged 30 to deliver about 1/2 cord. It was gonna cost me 15 for the baby sitter to do it myself during the week when the wife is at work. (I have a lot of days off during the week).

jeff_t said:
I've never bought wood either, but if somebody dropped off 6 cords of logs at my house for $50, I'd never drop another tree.

+1!

maplewood said:
jeff_t said:

+1!

+2

for me the felling/bucking/transporting work isnt as much fun as the splitting and stacking.

andybaker said:
I've never bought any wood before but I ran into a situation where I can get some wood delivered for $50. Got a call yesterday, I could have got a load of dead American Elm, 5' high and 21' long in 8' lengths brought in and unloaded. What do you guys think? I think I'd spend nearly that finding, going, cutting and hauling it home anyway. I turned it down yesterday, he says he has a load of Oak and some Cherry coming up in about a week. I think I'll go for it. He told me a typical load is anywhere from 6-8 cords.

5 x 8 x 21 = 6.5 cord

If I could get 6.5 cord delivered for $50 I'd sell my truck

Bigg_Redd said:
andybaker said:

5 x 8 x 21 = 6.5 cord

+100 and throw in the saws spliter and rigging and milling gear.....

I would have have been all over the Elm, don't get me started on the oak & cherry, Randy

smokinjay said:
Bigg_Redd said:
andybaker said:

5 x 8 x 21 = 6.5 cord

Dude, I think you better keep at least one saw, and the splitter.

jeff_t said:
smokinjay said:
Bigg_Redd said:
andybaker said:

5 x 8 x 21 = 6.5 cord

Dude, I think you better keep at least one saw, and the splitter.

Heck at that price they can have it all! Heck My Back cant hold out to many more years....lol

andybaker said:

You mean he isn't going to split and stack it for that much. $50 bucks is alot of money you know and spliting and stacking is hard work. Just tell him no and send him to my place.
leaddog

If you can get a deal like that that is not a onetime deal and it works out be sure you,have a case of beer waiting for the crew and maybe some burgers on the grill. I would even make a deal that for every Ten loads I would have a couple 'Ladies of questionable integerity" show their (my) appreciation.
Incentives....Incentives my friends. The world revolves around Incentives

Alright guys, yes it's a no brain-er, but still, I've always scrounged my wood and have enjoyed doing so. It might be a couple of weeks before I get that load, I'll put up some pics when I do. What I think I might do to compensate for no scrounging is build me a wood shed. Be nice to get rid of the tarps. I am getting a bit nervous about getting that much wood though because my space is limited and I already have enough for this winter and have started on next winter already. I suppose if it's too much I can find some friends to come take some.

Take all you can get and dont forget to have a few brews for the delivery guys....maybe some McDonalds coupons too

Notice my signature, this guy loves my apple fritters so I will keep him and his crews happy with dozens of free donuts.

I hate to say it but firewood dealers are like used car salesmen or politicians. You have to watch them and not just what they tell you...There out to make a buck and the more they short you or get the sale by telling you it is seasoned wood the more for them. Even if the dealer this year gives you good wood IE: seasoned and what you paid for doesn't mean that for next year...supply may be low or not seasoned enough, but they will tell you what you want to hear to make the sale. You have to police them. That's why it is best just to get a tri axle load of wood every year and cut split stack yourself for peace of mind.

But with Oak, might take two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.