Never had this kind. Picture update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Its more orange than locust. Do you guys know what it is?
Sorry for the horrible pictures.

Attachments

• splits.jpg
    splits.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 603
  • split bark.jpg
    split bark.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 494
gzecc said:
Its more orange than locust. Do you guys know what it is?
Sorry for the horrible pictures.

Degree of difficulty earns more points?

Mebbe if you'd give us a picture of the bark, and stuff like:
Relative size,
Growth habit,
Environment,
Approximate wood density,
Picture of leaves, etc.

More = better.

Absent that, my first guess: American Elm

Pics are rough, but +1 tulip or maybe maulberry. Need to see the bark.

My guess is mulberry. But never had any. Second thought is osage orange. Will take pics of bark.

If it barely floats when bone-dry & almost throws sparks when being cut,its osage orange.But if its lighter & a bit soft when green,its mulberry.Mulberry when green is quite heavy,barely floats also,but when dry is about the same as red/black oak & 20% less than hickory.I see Mulberry with those brownish-blackish streaks in pieces from older trees most often,especially near the center heart.

It's Mulberry, no question about it-seen it many times. If left exposed to the elements the yellow color will turn to reddish-brown.

PA. Woodsman said:
It's Mulberry, no question about it-seen it many times. If left exposed to the elements the yellow color will turn to reddish-brown.

Ditto. I have 3 cords waiting for next year. Geat firewood, even better if you have a hydraulic splitter.

The ends are reddish brown and they are very hard to split by hand.

True. Mulberry along with Osage Orange,will unfortunately begin to lose their brilliant yellow or yellow-orange color in a few hours with exposure to light & air, eventually changing to a dark brown or golden brown.I know of no surface treatment like a varnish,lacquer or similar for a finished product such as a jewelry box,candlestick,peppermill or fruitbowl etc that will keep that brilliant color.End grain is first to change,especially if its outdoors in sunshine. Even a clear penetrating oil will hasten the darkening.

Looks like some type of poplar to me..

Ray

Don't think it is poplar. I have had poplar before. It most closely resembles black locust except more orange. My initial thought were mulberry from my internet search, but was not sure of osage..
These came from a arborists stash. He would not have saved poplar.

Status
Not open for further replies.