Never too early to think about Pellets...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike D

Feeling the Heat
Nov 7, 2008
North Haven, CT
I feel like I got cheated out of winter this year, but my wallet appreciated it. This year I was lucky and got by with Green Teams from Lowes @ the late summer price of $199/ton with a flat $65 delivery fee. Not a bad pellet overall and had good heat, but somehow I think if the winter were colder this year that GTs wouldn't have cut it during January/February. So for the next season I am planning on getting these again as a shoulder pellet from Lowes (can't beat the price and the flat delivery fee).

I'm sure most of us are getting emails or are searching for early bird specials on the various websites and I wanted to get some opinions from the masters on here who may have burned these in the past:

Hamers (I have used these before, very good heat, but $$$ now) - $289/ton
Greene Gold - $245/ton
Energex - $249/ton
Powerhouse - $219/ton

If you could only buy one of these brands for the colder months (I figure 2 tons will work), which one would be the best for heat and cost? Thanks in advance for the advice.

If it matters, I am burning a Lopi Leyden...

I can't speak for the others, but Greene Gold is the same as Greene Team. So is Greene Team Platinum. They raised all their prices last Dec. In Maine they sell for $275/ton. I liked them a lot, but I now burn Maine Woods blend at $215/ton delivered.

Great - thanks for the heads up and feedback.

Green team is a little pricey up here at 285/ton for a shoulder pellet. I think I'm gonna get 2tons of either MWP soft or Mcfeeters for the shoulder, and 2tons of Northern or Spruce Pointe for the cold months.

Green team is a little pricey up here at 285/ton for a shoulder pellet. I think I'm gonna get 2tons of either MWP soft or Mcfeeters for the shoulder, and 2tons of Northern or Spruce Pointe for the cold months.

If you're going to buy MWP softwood, better do it quick. They only make around 3000 tons of it. I bought mine over a month ago. And I don't know if I'd call them a shoulder pellet. People that have burned them (I haven't) rate them pretty highly.

If you're going to buy MWP softwood, better do it quick. They only make around 3000 tons of it. I bought mine over a month ago. And I don't know if I'd call them a shoulder pellet. People that have burned them (I haven't) rate them pretty highly.

I've tried a few bags and really liked them. I'm planning on getting them this weekend.

I burned GT almost exclusively last winter at $177/ton. But like subsailor noted, the prices have gone up considerably. So I also switched to MWP. I burned a couple bags last year and really liked them. So about a month and a half ago I took delivery of 3 tons MWP hardwood blend ($215/ton delivered) and 1 ton MWP softwood ($239 delivered).

GT was priced at 285/ton this past season when I was looking for pellets. I'm gonna give the MWP softies a shot this year. They are 239/ton down here also.

imo, mwp blend are not crap.
my $.02. as well as the opinion of many others here.
try a few bags and decide for your self. (that is always a good rule)

i will say this. steve's price (sib) of $235 for the softies weakens the argument against spending a lot more money for an amount more heat.

i got two ton of the softies to try out this year.
but i will still be burning the blend as much as possible.

i did fine burning the blend exclusively last year.
and we got to 16 below several times. kind of warm for this area actually.
but our house has since been wrapped and sided. and we have added insulation to the attic.
i really feel comfortable that the blend will be a good all season pellet for me.
and i plan on being exceptionally stingy with my softies.

it's only a $20 per ton difference when i buy these two from sib.
but if i can save $90 to $100 a year and still be warm and happy, i will.

Reactions: mepellet and save$
I am a total addict, I never stop thinking or looking for pellets.;em

My wife called me an "addict." I can't help it, this stove is the best thing we ever purchased.

Getting ready for winter? I still had the pellet stove going this morning. Our lovely high of 58 with a low of 36 here means the stove is going for several hours in the morning to warm things up. North Idaho Energy Soft Fir blend pellets are $199.00 a ton at the local hardware store right now.

i will say this. steve's price (sib) of $235 for the softies weakens the argument against spending a lot more money for an amount more heat.

i got two ton of the softies to try out this year.
but i will still be burning the blend as much as possible.

i did fine burning the blend exclusively last year.
and we got to 16 below several times. kind of warm for this area actually.
but our house has since been wrapped and sided. and we have added insulation to the attic.
i really feel comfortable that the blend will be a good all season pellet for me.
and i plan on being exceptionally stingy with my softies.

it's only a $20 per ton difference when i buy these two from sib.
but if i can save $90 to $100 a year and still be warm and happy, i will.
I have a few brands I don't care for, but I know them to be good for others. I won't call them bad pellets. They are pellets that don't do well for me. As for MWP, they have been very good and at a very good price, plus can't beat the deal from SIB.
There, that is my two cents so I guess that equals four cents when added to yours!

I burned a couple bags of Power House last year and I liked them enough to buy 2 tons for next year. They are a decent pellet especially for the price. I don't think you would be disappointed in them.

I have a pellet boiler and can burn anything.

I burned 2 tons of MWP hardwood blend last year ~ that was 99 bags too many. LOW heat and HIGH ash. As I have stated before, perhaps it was my batch, but I will never burn them again, and will try to steer people away from them when I can.

Maybe I just strangle you now...
There are advantages to being surrounded by thousands and thousands of square miles of fir tree's (Among others)

I had so much left over from last year (almost 3 ton) that I just got a ton of Allegheny last week and I don't think I'll be buying more until summer 2013. Between 3 loads of wood and 4 ton of pellets that really should be enough!!

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Status
Not open for further replies.