New and looking for advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

samson24

Jan 23, 2020
Hello! My husband and I are looking for a used wood stove for our house. We can't afford the one we really want right now which is the kitchen queen, so we are just looking for something we can start out with that will go in the kitchen. We're looking to spend between $500-$1000. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!:)

Watch Craigslist ads in your area if you are looking for a cookstove. Might check eBay for New England sales.

Thanks for responding so quickly!
We don't know exactly which brands to buy. We've heard some names such as jotul, kitchen queen. So we just don't want to anything. R there any forums where people are talking about what they recommend and why?

You are in the low end of the budget for a stove, especially a cookstove. Is the primary purpose of the stove to cook or heating?

Take some time and use the search feature to look for threads on cookstoves if that is the primary need. There are several threads on the topic, but no specific forum here on them.

That will broaden your options. Try to find a stove made within the past 20 yrs. How large an area will the stove be heating?

I'm sorry but I really don't understand what you mean by updating my avatar. I don't use forums hardly. As for how big the area? My husband would know that.

I'm sorry but I really don't understand what you mean by updating my avatar. I don't use forums hardly. As for how big the area? My husband would know that.
Click on your name (samson24) at the upper right next to the little envelope icon and select Account Details. Under Account details put in your State in the Location: field. Then click on the blue Save button.