new at this!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulie

Hearth Supporter
Nov 27, 2007
SW Mich.
Hello, I am new at this wood burning thing, we had one at deer camp, but never burn in the house. I am getting a Regency i 1100 insert installed this week, does any one have any advise for me? And is there some one else out there with this stove ? If so how is it doing for you?

I'd read up on the woodburning/care articles on the front page. And start chopping/procuring wood. Anything cut this year only gets burned next year!

I have wood that is 1 1/2 years old....about a cord and 1/2 cherry and oak .

wood wacker said:
I have wood that is 1 1/2 years old....about a cord and 1/2 cherry and oak .

congrats on reducing your dependence on foreign oil. are you planning on burning 24/7? if so most people go through 3-5 cords on average depending on stove size, house size and region.

1 1/2 cords will not last long in SW Michigan even if it is cherry and oak.

For sure we can not give a decent estimate not knowing about how big the house is, how well insulated, how much you plan to burn (24 hrs per day?). However, just a wild guess I'd say you should plan on a minimum of 4-5 cords. Also, beware that in Michigan most people call a cord of wood whatever length they cut (mostly 16" but I've seen as short as 12") with a 4 x 8 pile. That is a face cord or rick and not a full cord of wood. So if you are talking face cords, multiply the numbers by 3. In other words, start with 12-15 face cords.

Now double all your numbers so you have enough for next year too. That way you will know for sure it has been seasoned well enough. We keep 3-4 years supply on hand and have been burning approximately 5-6 cords per winter in central MI.

yea I know...I just started gathering wood. Iam here in tha Kalamazoo area. My home is a lindel cedar home .all open with a open loft master bd. the house is only 1300 sq ft Stove is claiming 1500 ft cap...I thought a cord of wood was 4x4x8?? I have plenty of wood to get...but just getting started. I will probably burn at night and evenings home, not so much dureing the day...hope my coals last until I get home!!

I have plenty of wood to get...but just getting started. I will probably burn at night and evenings home, not so much dureing the day...hope my coals last until I get home!!

I have the FS1100, and I can have some coals in the morning, but seldom hot enough to rekindle a fire. Just enough to make the next fire start easier. After work forget about it, you are lucky to have any orange in that firebox. Remember that the stove is only rated for a max 6 hour burn time, so if you have the damper open at all that lessens your burn times.

Hey this is my first year with it too so we can fumble through it together. Seasoned wood is the key. I have already been down that road....

Status
Not open for further replies.