New Audio - interview with John Gulland

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
Nice interview Craig.

Next time maybe you can interview him on the subject of outside combustion air. Or better yet maybe set up a debate between John and Tom on that subject. :lol:

Interesting discussion. As hung up as you guys are on the semantics, I believe the manufacturers and their marketing departments ultimately decide what things are called.

But I'll try to keep things under control in the Boiler Room.

It would be nice of John would stop by and discuss the Wood Gun. Sounds different.

Great conversation with John there Craig. Any wonder why I pulled that rocket ship drafting one year old smooth wall 6" liner out of my chimney and put the corrugated 5.5" in. Now I can control the beast.

HE IS THE GREAT FIRE GOD!!!! UUUGGGAAAA! UUUGGGAAA! :bug:

Thanks for posting the interview Craig. It was a good conversation. I learned a couple things and it was great to hear voices attached to your virtual personalities.

I listened and learned also. I would have enjoyed hearing a discussion about the effects of seasoned wood versus green wood.

Craig and BeGreen: I listened to John for that hour+. Very,very informative..

Tested in :p Florida, with a 15ft stack. God, I need another paragraph!!

So go ahead and try and tell me again, why I would want to buy one of those "things"?? I`m a country boy, not pollut`n here, just burning clean and hot!! From all that I have gleaned from this forum, maybe my particulate are averaging 20 grams of particulates per hour. Hmmmm. At least I can control my burn, no neighbours for at least 200ft, and while they are burning everything under the sun,they still come and ask if I am using my insert today?

Well of course I am when it`s even moderatly cold. Boy`s, ya really gotta work harder to convince me why I should give up my insert with only 50+ cords burned-to-date. For something, that even John.G says should be more controllable. I have said it before, and I will say it again, how can you burn less wood, when it has to burn so hot, and when you have a hard time to get it tamed down? If you want that secondary burn going on, it can`t be done. And John as much as said so.

Oh, so we have to find a way to cheat the EPA to get the desired effect. If we are capable ,,,to mess with the controls, or better yet, make the dealers send someone out to do it. And what did John say--"never going to happen".. You can bet your rats ass it ain`t gonna happen. He as much as said it is done and thats it!! So sad.. Took a informitave Canuck to really appreciate what I already have,,,,

I love my 1985 insert and when I say it will last a lifetime, well, maybe I hope not--"but only cause I wan`t to live to be a hundred years old" otherwise ,,,hey That`s Okay!! If I outlive it -Guess that might be a good thing!!

On the other hand, if I could convince the dealer in my area to modify the insert. Then maybe.

I can't see any real reason, except style, to replace a unit which functions well. But you know how things are! How many folks are walking about with 5 gigabyte ipods (the first ones)???

Everybody loves to "upgrade" - but you can rest knowing that your stove has probably paid for itself 10x over.....

Status
Not open for further replies.