New Auger Motor Feeding Too Much

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillM2

Dec 23, 2010
Mid-Hudson Valley
I have an Englander 25 PDVC and just replaced the top auger motor and the stove is burning more pellets than previously. I've lowered the feed rate a notch to the 2 setting, which seems to help. Is this a common problem? Other than lowering the setting, is there something else afoot?

Thanks very much!

Not sure how common, but I replaced my old auger motor last year before the season started just cause the old one was original and 18 years old. I didn't want to have to get in back in the stove during deep freeze. New one fed significantly faster. I complained to the vendor, they said that's exactly why there are feed trim adjustments on stoves.

Well, my old 1996 stove has a dial to adjust anywhere between barely keeping the fire going and possible inferno. I couldn't get it to go low enough. I put the old one back in, because it just fed too fast for November-December weather. It crapped in in mid-December (as expected) and I put the new one in. It calmed down over the winter, and I'm back to normal speed for the new year.

TL;DR: don't worry about it. It's at least sort of normal.

Are you sure you got the correct rpm motor
If my memory is correct the pdvc motors are 1 rpm

Are you sure you got the correct rpm motor
If my memory is correct the pdvc motors are 1 rpm

What he said. If by chance your auger is any faster that 1.2 RPM, switch it with the bottom auger. See if that helps. The bottom auger may rotate faster but it will only feed what the top auger sends it.

Thanks for the input. The new motor is a 1 rpm unit. I'll try swapping the lower motor but will time the new one prior to doing so. At least I now know it's not such an unusual situation. I was thinking it might be something more involved

Ditto. With the hopper empty put a paint mark on the auger flight. Fire up stove and see if auger paint mark rotates 1 or more revolutions within 1 minute. If course this assumes it stays on for a whole 60 seconds.

An alternative and probably more accurate method is to power motor directly with jumper cord and clock off 60 seconds to see if it rotates once (1 RPM) or twice in a minute (2 RPM).

Also, there is a small plate at the bottom of the hopper. It is adjustable. Closing it some may help.

Sometimes the simple fix is the best. I closed the plate at the bottom of the hopper about 3/8" and has solved the problem. I also lowered the feed setting to 1. Left it on overnight while temps dropped into the upper 30's and the house was a very comfortable 70 degrees.

Thanks everyone for your help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.