new bk princess on the way

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I havent quite figured out how to post a picture but will soon

Congrats on the first fire....

RustyShackleford said:
learnin to burn said:
If double wall do you have the stove adapter or are you trying to put the double wall pipe right into the stove?

I haven't gotten mine yet, but I was told that double-wall pipe (Simpson or Selkirk)
SHOULD fit directly onto the stove (with no adapter). This by a tech at BK ...

I know the selkirk requires an adapter for the King. Although I did modify a telescopic length to fit the collar. The King collar is 1/4" wide and the outer wall of the pipe almost falls into it. I think the collar on the princess is also 1/4"

learnin to burn said:

RustyShackleford said:
learnin to burn said:
If double wall do you have the stove adapter or are you trying to put the double wall pipe right into the stove?

I haven't gotten mine yet, but I was told that double-wall pipe (Simpson or Selkirk)

I know the selkirk requires an adapter for the King. Although I did modify a telescopic length to fit the collar. The King collar is 1/4" wide and the outer wall of the pipe almost falls into it. I think the collar on the princess is also 1/4"

Damn, I was told that the collar would fit INSIDE the the outer wall of the pipe.
I'm not sure if I specified Princess when I was talking to the guy, but I'm very
sure he said no adapter was needed and that he seemed quite confident. Maybe
they make the collars differently on the newer models ?!?

learnin to burn said:

RustyShackleford said:
learnin to burn said:

I keep hearing conflicting info on this. I know single wall works fine, but I'm still not sure what I need to order for the Selkirk double wall. I was told by BK that an adapter might be needed because the 1/4" thick collar. They said to call Selkirk. I've called them 3 times now and I'm yet to receive a return call.

The other question I want to ask Selkirk is about the dimensions they list for their overall length for each piece of DSP. I realize this is from end to end, but I don't see any info for how much each piece overlaps at the joint. I don't have a lot of room to play with and I don't think I'll be able to use a telescopic piece, so I need to know the joint overlap distance. Anyone using the Selkirk DSP? If so, could you measure the overlap for me?

Ironically, I just received a call from Selkirk! It looks like the joint overlap is 1 3/8" for their DSP pipe.

As far as the needing an adapter goes, the tech suggested not using one and placing 2 or 3 relief cuts on the outer shell to accommodate the thicker stove collar. Otherwise, an adapter is needed.

RustyShackleford said:
learnin to burn said:

Called for a clarification, and he said that the adapter IS needed for the cleanest
install, but, simply to save the cost of the adapter, many folks will simply crimp the
inner wall so that it fits inside the collar, and trim the outer wall.

He also said something interesting, which is not in the manual. I asked about clearances
to NON-combistibles (e.g. a stucco'd cinderblock wall). Theoretically they could be ZERO,
right ? He said it was a good idea to leave more than that, perhaps 4-6", because
radiation off of the cinderblock wall would trick the thermostat, so that it would not
re-open properly when the stove starts to cool down, due to radiation from the wall.

RustyShackleford said:
RustyShackleford said:
learnin to burn said:

Called for a clarification, and he said that the adapter IS needed for the cleanest
install, but, simply to save the cost of the adapter, many folks will simply crimp the
inner wall so that it fits inside the collar, and trim the outer wall.

He also said something interesting, which is not in the manual. I asked about clearances
to NON-combistibles (e.g. a stucco'd cinderblock wall). Theoretically they could be ZERO,
right ? He said it was a good idea to leave more than that, perhaps 4-6", because
radiation off of the cinderblock wall would trick the thermostat, so that it would not
re-open properly when the stove starts to cool down, due to radiation from the wall.

That is some very useful information! Thanks for sharing......

That could have been a nightmare if I had already done my install......damn,damn,damn :grrr:

Status
Not open for further replies.