New BK Stove - Like Night and Day!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jager

I put a partial load - maybe half the firebox - in the new Princess last night around 7:30. Let it run on '1' for a couple minutes, then turned it back to where '0' would be (I use the 'W' of the word 'Warmer' as my marker for zero), were the T-stat marked thus. After an hour I moved it back further still, to the imaginary -1.

If you peered carefully through the (somewhat dirty) glass, you'd spy a few flecks of orange down in the bottom, but otherwise the stove gave no indication that it was running. The several splits of wood sat there, slightly charred, looking pretty dead. The only clue that anything was afoot was the gentle, even heat that emanated from the corner of the living room. I kept waiting for the stove, throttled back as much as it was, to extinguish itself. But when I went to bed at midnight it was still doing its thing, three quarters up in the Active zone.

When I awaken this morning the whole house is... pleasant. Like it was late spring or something. I walk downstairs and into the living room and can't help but smile. It's 31 degrees outside. 73 degrees inside.

My old stove would have required you to first run a good hot burn, enough to lay down a solid bed of hot coals. Then you'd have to stuff its enormous firebox with a bunch of wood, twice or more what I put in the Princess, let it catch well - but not too well - and then shut up the stove. If you did that no earlier than 9pm or so, if you got up no later than six the next morning, if you did everything just right, you MIGHT have enough embers left in the otherwise not-very-warm stove to get a fresh fire going in the morning without futzing with newspapers and such.

Standing in a cold room in my skivvies trying to coax a fire back to life ain't my preferred way to start the day.

I can't describe how nice it is to put on the coffee, grab a shower, and sit down with a hot cup, having yet to do a single thing with the stove. It might need loading in a couple hours. I just keep shaking my head. It's a miracle how much quality heat it makes, for such an incredibly long time, out of so little wood.

I'm off today to look at a splitter. A stove this good deserves that I step up my game.

I hope everyone had a terrific Thanksgiving...

Blah blah blah....damn alien technology !!!!

when your putting a new load in you want to run the stove on a higher setting for a little bit. i even let the load get going for a couple min. then close the by pass then run it hot for a little bit then turn it down to a lower setting. glad you like the stove. it is simply amazing .

Aye, indeed Bobby. I usually open the bypass and run it WFO for a bit after a reload. But last night I had added wood while it still had a lot of very hot remnants and it took off immediately.

Alien technology, indeed!

One full load and that should get you into Feb/March.... ;-P

Everytime a read a post like this, I wanna buy one. But I would have to install it in the doghouse. As thats where I would be if I bought one more stove :)

Jager said:
Aye, indeed Bobby. I usually open the bypass and run it WFO for a bit after a reload. But last night I had added wood while it still had a lot of very hot remnants and it took off immediately.

Alien technology, indeed!
All is good. good dry wood makes it easy.

Good luck with that stove and may it keep you warm all winter. Congratulations.

Been told anything lower than a bit before 1 is all the same... Air is shut down as much as it can be. I run mine with the deal at 12:00.

I threw a load in before going to bed, around 3 this morning, it's 11 now, 75* in the house still. 6* outside.

NATE379 said:
Been told anything lower than a bit before 1 is all the same... Air is shut down as much as it can be.
For sure when the stove is being shut down from a higher burn, the flapper will be closed for a wide arc of the low range of settings (I have no 123, because my stove came with side panels which were removed, hence no backing plate for the knob - I just by the o'clock of the pointer). However, what may be different is what happens when the stove gets very cool towards the end of a long/low burn - at what point does the flapper open a little ?

That's why I love having my thermostat cover removed - I can see the butterfly valve; of course, if you listen carefully, you can hear a very distinctive sound when it closes as you rotate the knock towards low. I love to have a tempered-glass window in my thermostat cover, or maybe at external indicator of the valve position. But I doubt I'll ever do that, and I really ought to reinstall the cover ...

Status
Not open for further replies.