New Blaze King owners where are you ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ecocavalier02 said:
Patapsco Mike said:
I get a 8 or 9 hour burn running full bore, and over 12 hours if I set the thermostat really low right after charring the wood. Mostly I find myself not stacking the stove very full, ever, and loading the stove 3x per day (bedtime load at 10 pm, morning load at 6 am, home from work load at 6 pm. I've re-lit my stove twice since Thanksgiving, and I can count the number of times my heater has started on one hand. This is the longest burning wood stove I've ever owned by a long shot.

So when you get home from work about 12 hours later your just putting a couple pieces in there to get by till you go to bed? so basically like loading twice a day correct?

Not quite. After 12 hours you are putting out heat, but not nearly as much as during the first 8 hours. This time of year, when I get home from work I get it ripping pretty good with maybe a 1/2 load and get the house warmed up ahead of dinner and relaxing in the evening. The Princess needs to be loaded 3x/day during really cold weather.

Well i gess it depends also on how mucb heat u prefer. We domt mind the house dropping into the low 60 s here. Im just seeing if after that 12 hour span its still easy to just reload it With plenty of coals left to do so? and its not like u have to atart fro
scratch again.

If you fully load the stove, you will have no problem operating it on 12 hour burn cycles. The only question is if it will put out enough heat to meet your specific needs.

What we are trying this weekend is me reloading in the morning and before bed, I go to work for 12 hours. DW loads a few splits in the afternoon when she sees the house temp starting to go down. It would be to much work for her to go out to the shed, haul it in and then do a full refill on the Princess insert. We are working on this, she is atleast trying. She knows that the gas furnace is alot quicker and easier to turn on than load up the stove.

Its windy and below 0 in Minnesota. I would say we are getting about 6 to 8 hour burn times of enough heat to keep the house warm. Remember the the Princess Insert is about half the size of the King stoves fire box.

My gas bills have been around $20 a month for the water heater.

I guess as weel that there really isnt much bad to be said about this stove. Im really looking forward to the purchase. Just wish i could a little better price around here in connecticut. Anybody have any suggestions on where ro maybe get a better price than 3300 for the princess. Im willing to drive a little bit no more thqn a couple hours.

SolarAndWood said:
If you fully load the stove, you will have no problem operating it on 12 hour burn cycles. The only question is if it will put out enough heat to meet your specific needs.

You would have no problem with a 12 hour cycle on a Princess, but you aren't going to get nearly as much heat as you would loading 3x/day. Wood in = heat out, so packing the firebox just twice a day can only give you so much heat. I could not heat my house at this time of year loading 2x/day, but I can loading 3x/day as it gives me 50% more heat (all else being equal).

Patapsco Mike said:
Wood in = heat out

Its hard to get around that one. Even the most efficient setup wont create more btus than you put in the firebox. Only way around that is to live with lower temps in the house, tighten up the house, bigger firebox or move south.

How many of you have your Kings going into a 6" flue?

hoverp said:
Im loving the stainless steel CAT.....anyone have any issues with theirs?
Thanks

Can you go into more detail about the difference between an SS cat and the ceramic one, where do
you buy an SS one for the BKs (I've seen circular ones, but not the big rectangular ones), how the
performance compares, etc ?

RustyShackleford said:
hoverp said:
Im loving the stainless steel CAT.....anyone have any issues with theirs?
Thanks

Can you go into more detail about the difference between an SS cat and the ceramic one, where do
you buy an SS one for the BKs (I've seen circular ones, but not the big rectangular ones), how the
performance compares, etc ?

I dont think they have plans to make a SS cat of the princess.

I thought i saw a place online that sells a steel combuster for the princess

north of 60 said:
Its nice to finally have other BK owners on here. I was quite alone for awhile and shot down quite a few times that the stoves control and burn performance was BS. Keep on enjoying yours guys.
N of 60

N60, Your posts were one of the main reasons I got the BK. I thought if he is heating his house in -50 weather, I can make it work in the -20 I have in Minnesota.
I liked reading the story about the time you had to turn your oil furnace on at -45/-50 below because the Princess didnt keep the house and garage warm enough.

Manatarms said:
fdegree,

Sorry....I didn't load as I usually do this time. Sometimes it just depends upon the size and shape of the splits...BTW...it is now 7:55AM eastern...and I just reloaded her.

-mark

No problem...just trying to make sure I understand as much as I can before I take the plunge.

Thanks...

Lanning said:
N60, Your posts were one of the main reasons I got the BK.

Me too. As I sit in from of my Princess (freestanding), I thank you.
And whoever turned me onto the whole idea of shipping from west of
the Mississippi River !

Well i am really looking forward to the purchase of the blaze king princess. But not looking to paying more than a thousand dollars more than other people are getting it for. Any suggestions for buy in connecticut?? what i can do to get that price difference. really would like to find a better price.

Lanning said:
north of 60 said:
Its nice to finally have other BK owners on here. I was quite alone for awhile and shot down quite a few times that the stoves control and burn performance was BS. Keep on enjoying yours guys.
N of 60

N60, Your posts were one of the main reasons I got the BK. I thought if he is heating his house in -50 weather, I can make it work in the -20 I have in Minnesota.
I liked reading the story about the time you had to turn your oil furnace on at -45/-50 below because the Princess didnt keep the house and garage warm enough.

Thanks for the reassurance, I think the story about running the oil furnace to keep the garage warm was Wolfkiller in Alaska in his last home though, but I do run the furnace once in awhile at -40 too. ;-)
Cheers.
N of 60

RustyShackleford said:
Lanning said:
N60, Your posts were one of the main reasons I got the BK.

Me too. As I sit in from of my Princess (freestanding), I thank you.
And whoever turned me onto the whole idea of shipping from west of
the Mississippi River !

Nice to hear and glad your also happy with your investement.

So far I'm very happy with my new King. 3 months now.
Sometimes I get some smoke when loading. Getting better, the birch bark catches very fast so I have the wood close & load quick.
Sometimes it get to warm in the house on low but the few days above 40 °F caused that.
Old King (1982) was not a cat, so I had some learning to do.
Have not use the ash pan yet, don't know that I will. (shovel & bucket)
Wife loves the glass door, like to go sit by the stove & read.
Today I had some odor from the stove, was burning the embers & it got cool & quit drafting, the wind is
35 - 50 mph with some 70 mph gusts so I think that added to the problem. I found I have to burn it a little warmer in the high wind.
Definitely use less wood than the old stove.
It keeps the house plenty warm, even on the below zero days.
Great efficient stove that puts out serious heat. (very little ashes with the birch)

One thing I have a hard time finding is pictures of BK's especially princess insert installs....

Maybe you guys could fix that :)

ecocavalier02 said:
I guess as weel that there really isnt much bad to be said about this stove. Im really looking forward to the purchase. Just wish i could a little better price around here in connecticut. Anybody have any suggestions on where ro maybe get a better price than 3300 for the princess. Im willing to drive a little bit no more thqn a couple hours.
I drove to the Bangor Maine area and got my Blaze King King with gold door and railings for $2100.00 plus tax Total was about $2200 plus change.Much better than the quotes from southern Mass.and Conn.Go to Blaze King's dealer locater site and click on Maine.

ecocavalier02 said:
Well i am really looking forward to the purchase of the blaze king princess. But not looking to paying more than a thousand dollars more than other people are getting it for. Any suggestions for buy in connecticut?? what i can do to get that price difference. really would like to find a better price.

From time to time, there have been west-coast dealers (e.g. Auto-Rain) that have shipped anywhere
in the country, with much lower prices, no sales tax, and roughly $300-400 shipping. But they tend
to get their hands slapped by BlazeKing corporate, who feel a duty to protect the monopoly of the
distributor that supposedly has control of everything east of the Mississippi River. But you might
look for west-coast dealers and see if one is willing to ship to you.

Does it look like I this needs an adjustment so the red needle will be at the bottom of the inactive zone?

Attachments

• DSC_0022.jpg
    DSC_0022.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 372
I think mine may have been at the same place when the stove was cold?

Lanning said:
Does it look like I this needs an adjustment so the red needle will be at the bottom of the inactive zone?

Looks out of whack to me. The manual states: At room temperature (out of the stove) the thermometer indicator generally points to the bottom of the "Inactive" zone. It may, over time, change slightly. Adjust it by loosening the bolt above the dial, and turning the dial face. Be sure the bolt is retightened before placing back on stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.