New Blaze King Princess Owner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Update:

Since the last that I posted, I have purchased a magnetic double wall flu thermometer. So, I should have had one of those installed before I started the first fire! I have no idea what my flu temps must have been but lets say I'm sure there was no creosote build up in the first week. Having this thermometer has made all the difference. I feel like I was driving a car blind for that first week after now having a number of days running the stove with it. In my mind, as I'm sure most wood stove noobs think, the higher the thermostat setting the greater the heat output. But what I have found is that, for example, in the morning when I've pretty much burnt it down to medium small hot coals the box temp (I still just have the catalyst indicator) nearing the inactive range, and the flu temp between 200-300 degrees, I'll stoke it and spread out the coals, then fill up the box keep the flu bypass open and the t-stat at full open to get the fire going. I close the bypass once I'm in the active zone and start dialing the t-stat setting back once I'm in the 500-600 degree range, to around 2. I will then see, over then next several minutes the flu temps, ie wasted heat, go down while the box temps continue to rise. I'm essentially forcing that heat to find another path out, which is into my house. The results of keeping my flu temps down and maximizing output have resulted in 12 hour burns still with the same ash, and a much warmer house. My wife has made several comments about what a difference these last few days have been compared to the first week.

My question now is, should I also get a dedicated stove top thermometer, and what threads are must reads to improve my understanding of balancing flu and box temps to maximize output and efficiency?

As a side note, I have not yet installed my fan kit, I'm waiting for it to come in.

I second that.. (wanting to know more on flue temp vs stove top temp).. But I've been thinking of getting one ot the IR thermometers (Raytek MT6), as I assume that coud be used for both stove top and double wall flue temp..

I second that.. (wanting to know more on flue temp vs stove top temp).. But I've been thinking of getting one ot the IR thermometers (Raytek MT6), as I assume that coud be used for both stove top and double wall flue temp..

Whatever you get, get it before you start trying to use your stove. Just having the flu temps is a huge help!

Are you sure it's a magnetic thermometer for double wall? I could be wrong, but I think all double wall flue thermometers are probe style, because you cannot get an accurate reading of the internal flue temps from the exterior shell of the double wall. Same goes for using IR thermo on DW pipe...

In any case, glad to see you've figured it out :) I am 100% sure you continue to be impressed with the Princess once you have the t-stat settings all figured out for the interior temps you want to maintain - I know I am still smiling ear to ear with being able to keep my house above 70 and have a load last 24 hours with outdoor temps in the upper 20's here ;lol

Reactions: jeff_t and PapaDave
Are you sure it's a magnetic thermometer for double wall? I could be wrong, but I think all double wall flue thermometers

are probe style, because you cannot get an accurate reading of the internal flue temps from the exterior shell of the double wall. Same goes for using IR thermo on DW pipe...

In any case, glad to see you've figured it out :) I am 100% sure you continue to be impressed with the Princess once you have the t-stat settings all figured out for the interior temps you want to maintain - I know I am still smiling ear to ear with being able to keep my house above 70 and have a load last 24 hours with outdoor temps in the upper 20's here ;lol

You're right it is a probe, it just has a magnet that holds it in place.

My question now is, should I also get a dedicated stove top thermometer, and what threads are must reads to improve my understanding of balancing flu and box temps to maximize output and efficiency?

As a side note, I have not yet installed my fan kit, I'm waiting for it to come in.

You should be just fine with a probe meter and the supplied cat meter. I also have a stove top meter for fun but it isn't as effective as you might think due to the way a cat stove heats. See, the cat element is about always really hot and stove output seems to vary based on how much of the rest of the stove is heated instead of how hot one particular point is.

Reactions: jeff_t
Jbels - what magnetic probe did you get & how do you like it so far?

Double-wall pipe temps really should be measured with a probe thermometer. Surface temps give an inconsistent result.

You should be just fine with a probe meter and the supplied cat meter. I also have a stove top meter for fun but it isn't as effective as you might think due to the way a cat stove heats. See, the cat element is about always really hot and stove output seems to vary based on how much of the rest of the stove is heated instead of how hot one particular point is.

You know I agree, but that is kinda confusing.

I have my magnetic thermo top center. It will actually get hotter at lower settings, as opposed to burning the stove with an active flame. The simple reason is that the flame is burning cleaner, leaving less smoke for the cat. But, burning at higher settings with a hot fire makes the whole stove hotter, instead of that small area on top of the cat.

That said, a stove top thermo on a BK is pretty much useless. For reference maybe, but you'll never overfire it if you're doing it like you're supposed to.

Reactions: Highbeam
Jbels - what magnetic probe did you get & how do you like it so far?

I got a Fluegard from condar.com

It was very easy to install and thus far has been very worth the cost. I think it was mid $20's

Probe_FlueGard.jpg

Reactions: Gareth96
Status
Not open for further replies.