New Bricks -- Break In Necessary ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurricane

Minister of Fire
Feb 18, 2009
Central NJ
My new brick set came for my Quad insert, I will be doing the fall cleanup of the chimney and stove and putting in the new bricks, new Kaowool blanket above the baffle too. Do you think I need to go through the break in with a few small fires again. I think I might because it is the moisture you want to cook out of the bricks ? Is that correct. What do you think ? No big deal because it is not really cold here yet.

refractory brick or kiln fired firebrick? if the latter, then no.

I would atleast do a slow warm-up. If they have been setting for a while they will draw moisture. Better to be safe than...... have egg on face.

Pumice brick.
The OEM Quadrafire brick, I do not think it is equivalent to either refractory or kiln brick

Status
Not open for further replies.