New budget insert vs older stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pavwa12

Sep 25, 2019
Michigan
I currently have a 2001 england stove works free standing stove no blower located in the rear of my 1800 sq ft ranch. We use it to off set propane heat cost but Iam burning through the wood quickly to do so and not circulating that much heat over all through out the house. The stove was here when we bought the house and before that I had never heated with wood what so ever.
My question is, is an insert such as the Century cw2900 fireplace insert more efficient than a older stove with no blower? I would love to burn a little less wood and hopefully add a couple degrees worth heat as well. Iam nervous to spend a couple thousand and end up with close to the same results as the stove. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I currently have a 1991 england stive work free standing stove located in the rear of my 1800 sq ft ranch. We use it to off set propane heat cost but Iam burning through the wood quickly to do so and not circulating that much heat over all through out the house. The stove was here when we bought the house and before that I had never heated with wood what so ever.
My question is, is an insert such as the Century cw2900 fireplace insert more efficient than a older stove with no blower? I would love to burn a little less wood and hopefully add a couple degrees worth heat as well. Iam nervous to spend a couple thousand and end up with close to the same results as the stove. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
What type of fireplace do you have and is it centrally located?

A floor plan, even rough drawn, would be a huge help !

Welcome to the Forums !!!

A floor plan, even rough drawn, would be a huge help !

Welcome to the Forums !!!

Iam not really looking to see how this insert will heat my house. I am wondering of the performance of the century cw2900 compared to an older england stove works free standing stove is all.