New cap question and insert recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

VFF104

Jun 23, 2023
Ontario
Hey everyone, we are looking to put a insert into our fireplace as for something for evenings and weekends to supplement the heating a little but mostly for the appearance.

We had two companies come out and gave us 4 different inserts that would fit. Our opening is pretty small. These are the four that they said will fit:
1. Pacific Energy Vista Insert
2. Regency i1500 Wood Fireplace Insert Hybrid Catalytic
3. Regency i1150 Wood Fireplace Insert Non-Catalytic
4. Stuv 6-in

My wife likes the look of the Stuv the best but I'm leaning more towards the Regency ones.

Now on to our cap, we had the mason come and fix it as the original cap was just six window sills without a drip edge. The mason poured in a new cap but to me it looks a little flat without much of a slope to it. I will be following up but I don't know much about it or how big of a slope is needed.
IMG_4651_20230623_142032.jpg IMG_4650_20230623_142032.jpg

Hey everyone, we are looking to put a insert into our fireplace as for something for evenings and weekends to supplement the heating a little but mostly for the appearance.

We had two companies come out and gave us 4 different inserts that would fit. Our opening is pretty small. These are the four that they said will fit:
1. Pacific Energy Vista Insert
2. Regency i1500 Wood Fireplace Insert Hybrid Catalytic
3. Regency i1150 Wood Fireplace Insert Non-Catalytic
4. Stuv 6-in

My wife likes the look of the Stuv the best but I'm leaning more towards the Regency ones.

Now on to our cap, we had the mason come and fix it as the original cap was just six window sills without a drip edge. The mason poured in a new cap but to me it looks a little flat without much of a slope to it. I will be following up but I don't know much about it or how big of a slope is needed.View attachment 313508View attachment 313509
The slope is probably fine. The lack of a bond break between the clay liner and the crown is not ok the crown will crack

Reactions: begreen
The slope is probably fine. The lack of a bond break between the clay liner and the crown is not ok the crown will crack
Well great.... Is there anything they can do to solve the issue? Or is a re-pour required?

I assume you mean like a sill gasket between the clay liner and concrete?

Well great.... Is there anything they can do to solve the issue? Or is a re-pour required?

I assume you mean like a sill gasket between the clay liner and concrete?
Yes that is what we use. The only option other than a re pour is removing the clay going through the crown because it isn't needed with a liner for an insert

Yes that is what we use. The only option other than a re pour is removing the clay going through the crown because it isn't needed with a liner for an insert
Ok thank you. I'll talk to the company when the time comes to install the wood insert.

I assume that the concrete would need to be poured with a sill around the new liner? Sorry if these questions are simple. I just don't really know.

Ok thank you. I'll talk to the company when the time comes to install the wood insert.

I assume that the concrete would need to be poured with a sill around the new liner? Sorry if these questions are simple. I just don't really know.
The simplest solution is remove the clay going through the crown. Leave the crown as is then install an insulated liner in the chimney with a top plate that covers the hole left by removing the clay

The simplest solution is remove the clay going through the crown. Leave the crown as is then install an insulated liner in the chimney with a top plate that covers the hole left by removing the clay
Awesome thanks for your help.

Any advice on a insert?

I would eliminate the Regency 1500 I don't like the design at all and I sell them. If the stuv is single burn rate like most of theirs that would be out as well.

I would eliminate the Regency 1500 I don't like the design at all and I sell them. If the stuv is single burn rate like most of theirs that would be out as well.
Yea the Stuv is a single burn rate.

Your opinion on the , Regency 1500 is the same for the 1150?

No the 1150 is fine. The way they added the cat is what I have an issue with

Chimney height may make a difference. I’m not sure how well Regencies breathe, but the PE will be an easy breather. If it’s a tall chimney you might want to go for a stove that needs a taller chimney.

So a damper would be required?
Be thoughtful on the install. I did an insert without the surround. Liner is covered by a piece of 8” stove pipe. Damper is easily accessible. There is a thread here that has a good install of the damper jangle through the surround. You have options. Insist on a an insulated liner and block off plate

image.jpg

Be thoughtful on the install. I did an insert without the surround. Liner is covered by a piece of 8” stove pipe. Damper is easily accessible. There is a thread here that has a good install of the damper jangle through the surround. You have options. Insist on a an insulated liner and block off plate

View attachment 313510
So when we see inserts that essentially fill the entire opening, I assume those have no dampers as they wouldn't be required?

Are dampers ever built into the actual unit itself or just in the pipe?

I'm going to have to go back to the installer as the two companies that gave us qoutes never mentioned anything about having a damper

The air control is part of the stove. A damper is added and is controlled separately. For inserts the easiest place is to drill a hole in appliance adapter. It’s not ideal but offers a workable solution.

Some pictures in this thread. There is another thread where a u joint is installed and the damper rod is extended through the surround

So I think the mason finished up yesterday. There's no drip edge that I can see from the ground and when I asked about it he said he used a wire brush. I was thinking of adding a bead of caulking along the bottom to act as my drip edge.

Then he also caulked around clay liner without the bond break. I posted a pic of the final.
IMG_4655_20230625_092545.jpg
The air control is part of the stove. A damper is added and is controlled separately. For inserts the easiest place is to drill a hole in appliance adapter. It’s not ideal but offers a workable solution.

Some pictures in this thread. There is another thread where a u joint is installed and the damper rod is extended through the surround

Thank you I will have a read for sure

Last edited: