New cat, what a difference!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdinspector

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 22, 2009
Northern IL
I suffered through the end of last burning season with a failed catalytic. The good folks at Woodstock asked if I would wait until this season to make a warranty claim, just to make sure it was the cat and not the spring temperatures that were working their bad mojo on my stove last spring. I tried adding a section to the flue, thinking that it was a draft problem, but still had smoky fires.

I contacted them after some bad fires this fall (smoke and low stove top temps). They promptly sent a new catalytic out to me. I've tried it for the last 3 nights and am amazed at the performance of the stove. No smoke, fast light off of the cat, and easy to control stove top temperatures. My neighbor even commented about the lack of smoke.

I'm interested in how long the new stainless cat will last. It does look flimsy compared to the ceramic one. I'll wait and see.

ADVICE to those who are having smoky fires in their catalytic stoves- make sure you have dry wood then try a new cat if you can't resolve your problems.

How much for the new SS cat?? I may get one just to have on hand

This one was under warranty. I paid $15 for shipping. I think they cost about $100 or so. Before you order a SS cat, read the current thread about them. Some negative reviews.

figured SS would be better but will look for the thread

kayakkeith said:
figured SS would be better but will look for the thread

$125.00 for the S/S cat at Woodstock, a very good price!

Ray

Glad the new cat worked out for you. I also recommend a cat probe to keep an eye on those temps. Seems like there has been a few premature cat failures from Woodstock stoves lately, maybe the new s/s cat and scoop will eliminate this but I also think a probe to monitor internal temps will help keep people down below that 1600-1880 range that can degrade the cat much sooner.

Todd said:
Glad the new cat worked out for you. I also recommend a cat probe to keep an eye on those temps. Seems like there has been a few premature cat failures from Woodstock stoves lately, maybe the new s/s cat and scoop will eliminate this but I also think a probe to monitor internal temps will help keep people down below that 1600-1880 range that can degrade the cat much sooner.

I agree and also think it should be standard like it was on my CDW.. I can't imagine how you could run a cat stove without one.. To me it would be like driving a car without a speedometer and tachometer.. I ran a S/S cat for 3 months in my CDW and it showed no sign of warpage at all and worked better than the ceramic cat.. Perhaps a different shape cat could be more prone to distortion due to a rectangular shape? My 6" round was still perfectly flat when I sold the stove..

Ray

OK, I'll look for a cat probe. However, my problem has never been overfiring (at least that's what I assume your watching for). I've rarely had temps over 600 F (stovetop) on my Fireview.

Ohhhh, I get your hint... another tool that I should purchase. I'll tell the wife I had no choice. "The folks at hearth.com insisted that it was for our safety".

I'll be finding out soon on the new cat because I'll pick one up next week at Woodstock.

Dennis,

I think you've never replaced your cat, as I gather from reading prior posts? You'll see a big difference.

While you're at Woodstock, can you see where they recommend putting a cat probe on a fireview stove? In reading old posts, it looks like some (Todd) considered drilling through the soapstone, but I don't see where anyone ever did. I'd be interested in their input on a probe location.

raybonz said:
Todd said:

I agree and also think it should be standard like it was on my CDW.. I can't imagine how you could run a cat stove without one.. To me it would be like driving a car without a speedometer and tachometer.. I ran a S/S cat for 3 months in my CDW and it showed no sign of warpage at all and worked better than the ceramic cat.. Perhaps a different shape cat could be more prone to distortion due to a rectangular shape? My 6" round was still perfectly flat when I sold the stove..

Ray
+1. One cannot tell cat temps from a stovetop temp. It's just not possible. You can have cat temps over 1600 and have stovetop temps below 600. Especially with a soapstone stove. Catalysts break down with temps over 1600 and they can be reached easily. Cat probes aren't just another tool, they are an essential tool for cat stoves!

jdinspector said:
Dennis,

I think you've never replaced your cat, as I gather from reading prior posts? You'll see a big difference.

While you're at Woodstock, can you see where they recommend putting a cat probe on a fireview stove? In reading old posts, it looks like some (Todd) considered drilling through the soapstone, but I don't see where anyone ever did. I'd be interested in their input on a probe location.

Will do inspector.

They have a hole in the back of the Fireview opposite side of the controls for a probe. I tried it my first year but it seemed to me it wasn't close enough to the cat, more like a few inches away. I was too chicken to drill into the soapstone top so I just relied on the external temps. If I still had the fireview and know what I know now I'd take the top off, lay it upside down and drill a hole just aft of the heat shield for a probe.

So far a 600 stove top temp is reading a 1500 cat probe temp on my Keystone but I don't how accurate it is. I haven't taken it any higher since the heat isn't needed but I'm thinking a 700 stove top temp is going to be close to 1600 or more. I'll let everyone know later this year. I also haven't seen any run away smouldering cat burns with either Keystone like I did with the Fireview and I have tried to duplicate it. I could easily get the Fireview to take off over 700 from a full load smokey burn and low air setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.