New Chain, Bar, Sprocket & more

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
I was having trouble with my saw binding up in the cut. but run fine free. After nursing/fighting it thru the spruce tree, I took it to the shop.
1. the sprocket was almost cut into (old style " Spur sprocket" ) (It lasted over 20 years)
2. the bar was worn bad from the chain right where it leaves the sprocket (over .070)
3 The chain got hot, worn & stretched & dug into the worn sprocket to where I was out of adjustment.

Fix:
. I was able to find a local Oregon dealer & got a new bar, Oregon Pro -Lite, 3/8 X .050 - 20"
. A new chain 72LPX with all kinds of new features my old chain didn't have. better oil retention, witness mark for sharpening, made for dirty conditions, cold weather steel etc.
. A new style sprocket, Power Mate Rim Sprocket, 7 tooth, with replaceable "Rims" (I wonder if a 8 tooth would increase chain speed??)

Anyway the old Husqvarna 61 is back in business, will find out tomorrow if all this "High Tech" parts will cut wood.

Found this site for Oregon chains, bars sprockets & more. Several kinds of chains & bars for specific types of cutting needs.
More to know about chain selection than I knew.

Select your saw brand, then model, bar length, chain specs.
http://www.oregonchain.com/commonpg...Ansi=Y&ShowQuality=Y&ShowCombo=Y&usertype=PRO

Attachments

• Husky-61.jpg
    Husky-61.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 269
Cool, glad ya found parts. I'm thinking about investing in an Oregon bar for my say. The chains themselves are worlds better than the stock peices. Thing is not to wait until you're in a crisis, then you can get your parts in peace and not have to make a deal with the Devil and take whatever he's giving at the time.............

You know, those things are really normal replacement parts.

Chains last as long as there is anything left worth sharpening. Bars, which can often be 'reconditioned' with a beltsander, outlast chains by a large multiple. We buy several new chains every year, but only buy a new bar once every couple of years - sorry, can't be much more specific than that.

As for sprockets, well the good folks at Stihl will tell you to replace one with every new chain. They are only six bucks each so I suppose it wouldn't overburden most guys to do it that way, but once every ten years would be more like it for most of us.

That said there is nothing quite so nice as running the saw with a new bar and chain. About a month ago I bought new bars for each of my saws and 3 new chains for each one too. Its been just plain sweet cutting; at the first hit of dulling we just stop and change the chain for a very light touch up later that night.

OH MAN!
What a difference. When I had the saw apart, I even cleaned the air filter.
Straight cuts. Fast cuts. No binding in the cut. Big chips flying out.
Used less gas. Idled better. (Maybe something to do with clean air filter)
Any way, it worked great, cut like I remember.
So every now & then a little maintenance should be done. I read the "owners manual" & I'll be doing better at maintenance.
It was just nice to zip through some 12" birch. :)

I found a guy with a broken Husky 61. I may try to buy it for parts.
I have several broken parts that are hard to find that I may be able to get form it. Chain brake, trigger assy, some of the covers

My old bar has a slight bow I never noticed before. I hear they make good knives, True?

I mixed some new gas at 50:1, I thought is was supposed to be 40:1 & will tune the carb next time I run it.
May even idle.
Maybe a new spark plug, never changed since new in 82, may help too

I don't think the bar will make for good knife-making stock, better old saw blades or better yet, old Chevy Nova rear (single leaf) springs. Most saw bars are laminated with 3 parts. One presumes it is cheaper to spot weld three steel stampings together than it is to machine a channel around a solid bar.

I also am seriously concerned that you may have gone too far with all that air-cleaner cleaning and talk of changing a spark plug. Some things on a chain saw are sacred and not to be touched - everyone knows it. Chainsaw spark plugs are like that: In all of recorded history there is no verifiable example of a man having changed one. :~)

Status
Not open for further replies.