New Chain Brake Policy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point, I'm used to a little different cutting. A lot of what I cut is dead Ash, usually blow downs, with most the limbs fallen off, so limbing for me is usually a few swipes with my smaller saw. When I'm bucking is when I need to be the most careful, our ground is wet and boggy, and full of other holes and debris. The other day I was 2/3 the way through a 18" Ash when my right foot went through the thin layer of ice I was unknowingly standing on, and sank about a foot. Wasn't pleasant.

gonna put piece of tape on saws saying BRAKE

as I tend to forget

I always use it in tree

Thanks for the reminder Warm guy

Wow, just another aahhaa moment for me here because from the first time I worked with a saw I was taught to always engage brakes every time as soon as the cut is completed and as soon as you are moving around with the saw (limbing is the exception because essentially several cuts can be made without moving). And I guess as great coincidence (seeing all the other methods others are using like no brake at all) everyone I've ever cut with did the same thing with engaging brakes every time as soon as the cut was completed. It is so automated I do not even notice it really.

Status
Not open for further replies.