New Chimney...old one in bad shape.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
Last weekend we installed a new SS chimney at my dad's house, straight-up all the way with DSP to the ceiling support box.

Old setup was an exterior masonry chimney, single-wall pipe about 10" to combustibles, and a T on the back (rear flue exit)...2 45's into a thimble...and then up. Draft was pretty terrible.

The masonry chimney was pretty badly glazed. I'd say it had a solid 1/4" of hard shiny creosote from top to bottom. He's been burning this way for 30 years.

I feel much better now that he has a safer setup. If that glaze lit up there would be no stopping it...

Post a pic of the old setup with the glazing. Interesting stuff and educational for some.

Nothing wrong with improving safety. Good job.

Did you tear that chimney down or did you find a way to clean the glazing out of it?

pen

It's still standing...just unused. I should be up there Sunday and will try to snap some pics.

It will come down eventually...but the siding will have to be patched as well as the overhang.

Since the draft was so bad, and the mortar needed tucked, etc. it made more sense to throw in a new SS setup than clean and repair the old.

Status
Not open for further replies.