New chimney thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mustangwagz

Feeling the Heat
Oct 5, 2014
Western PA
Switched from typical black stove pipe to some very nicely crafted amish made stainless chimney pipe. Shortly after leaving the shop I thought about a problem I had just created...my magnetic chimney thermometer would no longer stick to the chimney..

So I went fancy. I installed an auberins.com chimney probe thermometer that has a high and low alarm function. (here a link to it.. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=292 ) It was like 80 bucks shipped with the different options i decided to add? This will be very useful for my wife and I considering the furnace is in the other room. Also it's an all manual burner so it'll alert us if stack Temps go above and beyond needed Temps and when stove needs refueled.

i havent powered it up yet since im currently running my pellet stove to see how it'll do in this dumpy old house of mine. if the pellet stove works out great, i may end up moving the furnace to the garage to heat it, but if not..it'll still be here in the house cooking us out! lol

heres a short simple video.

Whew, that video needs an intermission about half way through.;lol:p

Thanks for the link. I have been trying to find an option for my double wall stove pipe and this may work good with the probe.

Reactions: mustangwagz
I've been preaching the Auberins sermon for the last few years. I LOVE IT. ()

I set the high alarm at 900 and it works well for me. It does take a bit of 'brainwashing' to get the old ideas out of your mind once you start using the Auberins. At cold start, the flue gases can easily reach 900+++ when your stove top thermometer still reads 250.

I've been preaching the Auberins sermon for the last few years. I LOVE IT. ()

I set the high alarm at 900 and it works well for me. It does take a bit of 'brainwashing' to get the old ideas out of your mind once you start using the Auberins. At cold start, the flue gases can easily reach 900+++ when your stove top thermometer still reads 250.
NO kidding?! HA, so what yoru saying is play it as usual untill stove warms up? im used to the kindling fires gettin crazy then i regulate temps once the big logs are cooking.

thanks for the heads up. glad someone said something or id be going nuts crappin my pants. lol i read about the auberins on a different forum and decided to get one. THey are nice. high and low alarms are a plus too.

I'd suggest running as you have for a few times and just read the flue temps, then slowly begin to adjust your methods once you learn how flue temps can fluctuate so wildly. I've had the alarm go on mine at 900 and been a bit slow to respond (less than 60 sec.) to close the primary and by the time I got there it was well over 1400. I'm sure there are lots of us that have been firing our chimneys well into the danger zone without knowing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.