New construction install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Richard Pryor

Mar 6, 2017
Oregon
Building a new house and I’m not using a general contractor so I’ve been doing a bunch of research to get things right. Hoping for some advice on fireplace/wood stove location and recommendations.

Primary source of heat will be a Mitsubishi heat pump. Even though everyone says the heat pump will be enough, code requires an additional source of heating.

Currently own a Regency 1100 that heats a small 20x18 area and it does a great job heating the area. From what I’ve read here, wood stoves are much better than fireplaces as a source of heat. Fireplaces are just for aesthetics.

1. Is this accurate?

The area to be heated is approximately 21 x 28. The plan was to put it on the bottom right corner of the great room pointing towards the kitchen counter (see attached pic). The windows on the right side of the house begin 4.5 ft from the wall. So I have that much room for a wood stove.

2. Is this enough space

Looking at the layout:

3. Is this where you would install the wood stove?

With this information and considering my space:

4. Can you please recommend a few wood stoves?
xcCXZez.png cgb4phO.png 0Pjc0mH.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The corner install may be the most enjoyable location since you couch will likely be face that direction. But the most effective heating position would probably be in the living room against the laundry room wall. This will pick up more cold air from the hallway floor and natural heat and convective it up creating a convection loop that will more evenly heat the back rooms as well. Is it a cathedral ceiling in the living room kitchen area?

The new high HSPF air source heat pumps and wood stoves make a great combo (that's what I have).

I would do some research on your own (read the FAQ and articles on this site), and short list 3 or 4 stoves. Asking for stove recommendations can get confusingly polarized if you don't educate yourself first.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/read-before-posting-or-answering-which-new-stove-to-buy.115094/

https://www.hearth.com/talk/forums/articles.51/

Last edited:
The aux heat strips in an air handler are considered a secondary heat source I would think, or dont you have that?

Don't skimp on insulation and windows. It makes heating the far rooms easier. That said the back bedrooms should have their own zones for additional heat when your heating with the stove. My great room has the same corner stove install on the far end wall. Being an open room with cathedral ceiling the heat is failey even. When the stove is getting the cold house heated, you can't sit in front of the hallway to the back bedrooms. There's a blast of cold air that runs along the floor, from the back bedrooms.

The elevation looks like a 2 story home, but no stairwell showing in the living room plan, just in the sketch. What is the final plan?

@SuperJ How do you think having a wood stove impact the free-flow/open-space look of the house if it were placed where you suggest against the laundry room? Please keep in mind this house will have nice mountain views and the views will be looking out the windows on the right-side of the house. And yes, it is vaulted ceiling in that area.

@Ludlow I'm not sure if I have that. I think I would need to pay extra.

@xman23 I'm quite aware how important insulation is and I won't skimp on that. Thanks for the recommendation regarding back rooms. Something to think about for sure.

@begreen I cropped out the stairs in the main plan but the stairs are located in the same place as where they show on one of the sketches.

It's a small space to be heated. If very well insulated then a small stove like the Regency will be fine. Some heat will convect upstairs which will help. If the intent is to heat with wood 24/7 a low output stove will be needed. This puts it in the cat stove territory.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
@SuperJ How do you think having a wood stove impact the free-flow/open-space look of the house if it were placed where you suggest against the laundry room? Please keep in mind this house will have nice mountain views and the views will be looking out the windows on the right-side of the house. And yes, it is vaulted ceiling in that area.

Since the stove is the secondary heat source, it probably makes sense to put it where you will aesthetically enjoy it the most (corner opposite to the kitchen). Having the stove within your field of view while you're relaxing in the evening is one of the great pleasures in owning a stove. I think it will heat fine from the corner too.

If you do put it by the laundry, there are stoves that look great from the side as well as the front. You could consider a side loading stove in that location. You'll have a little less exposed chimney if the laundry location since it will be closer to the peak of your roof.
If you have non combustible flooring (tile/stone), then the stove could sit in a clean fashion between the door and kitchen, but I don't think you'd want a fancy raised hearth in that location.

Here's a Jotul F500 Oslo, in a room with similar windows.
upload_2018-11-3_23-16-50.png

@Ludlow I'm not sure if I have that. I think I would need to pay extra.

Air handlers intended for heat pumps usually come already equipped with heat strips. The compressor side transfers heat from the outside to the inside until a minimum outside temp. Then the heat strips kick in under that temp. Although they are part of the same system, they are two separate sources of heat

Air handlers intended for heat pumps usually come already equipped with heat strips. The compressor side transfers heat from the outside to the inside until a minimum outside temp. Then the heat strips kick in under that temp. Although they are part of the same system, they are two separate sources of heat
They don't come standard, at least on our Amer. Std. system they are not. It's an added cost option that is sized for the heat load requirement. It needs a separate power feed, 60A in our system's case. But this could be retrofitted if not already installed.

Last edited: