New crud on my glass this year ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

squeed

Jan 25, 2009
North East, USA
Last winter I was burning Stove Chow from the HD and when I cleaned the glass it was your basic black soot, and it came off with ceramic cleaner and a paper towel. This year I'm burning Lignetics and every time I clean the glass there are these black specks on the glass. It's almost like you flicked water with your fingers on the glass and it mixed with the ash and left a black speck that got hard and sticks to the glass. I've been having to pick them off with my finger nails vs. just spraying and wiping like last year. Any ideas on what this new speckling is and how to stop it ?

-S

on a cold stove wet a old rag and dip it in the ashes from your stove and rub gently over the entire surface and it cleans as good as anything out there.

squeed said:
Last winter I was burning Stove Chow from the HD and when I cleaned the glass it was your basic black soot, and it came off with ceramic cleaner and a paper towel. This year I'm burning Lignetics and every time I clean the glass there are these black specks on the glass. It's almost like you flicked water with your fingers on the glass and it mixed with the ash and left a black speck that got hard and sticks to the glass. I've been having to pick them off with my finger nails vs. just spraying and wiping like last year. Any ideas on what this new speckling is and how to stop it ?

-S
Squeed, I burned about 1/3 ton of Lignetics softwood last winter, and had the same thing happen. Funny though....the hardwood Lignetics i burned first didn't do it.

I just cleaned them off with the paper towel/water/stove ashes method, although now that I've been "converted" to the Magic Eraser, I'd be curious to see how that would have worked on those specks.

Status
Not open for further replies.