New distribution fan high speed only

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

New dist blower only blows on high

• All

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris nh

Apr 19, 2014
New Hampshire
My distribution fan had bad bearings ( rattled like crazy). Bought a new one. Wired the new exactly like old one. New fan blows only on high. If I lower the speed it cuts out, even when the fire is high and stove is hot. There is a hum now when the stove is telling the fan to turn on. But it won't turn on except on high.

My distribution fan had bad bearings ( rattled like crazy). Bought a new one. Wired the new exactly like old one. New fan blows only on high. If I lower the speed it cuts out, even when the fire is high and stove is hot. There is a hum now when the stove is telling the fan to turn on. But it won't turn on except on high.
You have a bad fan control knob. It can easily be replaced if you Are handy with a solder iron.

Post year,make model for better feedback.Hey Don I have never used a soldering iron to replace a knob on anything?;?

Post year,make model for better feedback.Hey Don I have never used a soldering iron to replace a knob on anything?;?

Harmans have a potentiometer that very the electrical resistance to increase and decrease the speed of the distribution blower.
Just did the repair you suggested. Problem solved. Thank you. I appreciate your time spent.

Very good!

Harmans have a potentiometer that very the electrical resistance to increase and decrease the speed of the distribution blower.

Very good!
Maybe I am having a bad hair day,but there is nothing in op about the stove,everybody knows about harman trim pots,and a knob is what controls them.Or is this a dual post from another site that did not come all the way through?

Maybe I am having a bad hair day,but there is nothing in op about the stove,everybody knows about harman trim pots,and a knob is what controls them.Or is this a dual post from another site that did not come all the way through?

It was a bad potentiometer that the distribution blower knob is on. Potentiometers are variable resisters that come in linear or audio taper. The audio taper pots used in Hi Fidelity equipment change the resistance more drastically to increase the decibels. Anyways, when these pots wear, they develop dead spots so the fan stops. Soldering in a new potentiometer on the Harman circuit board fixed the problem. :)

Here they are. 0 to 100K ohms probably a linear taper.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harman-Pell...489?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eba3439e9

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.