New England 25-pvd huge flame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

J99pman

Oct 19, 2023
New york
I am renting a house with a New Englander PVD and it has been working well for the past three years. At the end of last season, the top auger motor went bad. I had it replaced by a company that never heat tested the stove. This season the bottom auger motor would stop working when the stove got hot. I swapped the new top motor with the going bad bottom motor until a replacement arrives. While working on the stove, I performed the best deep clean I could. Removing soot from the burn pot, clearing the air holes, cleaning behind the flame plate and blowing out the exhaust pipe. Tonight after about a half hour, the flame was huge and touching the top of the stove. I saw the top auger motor stopped working when hot and there was barley any pellets in the burn pot. Obviously, I'm waiting for the new auger motor to arrive. Does the new top auger seem like it would correct the flame issue because from this fourm, I believe it's too much air causing the huge flame.

Settings.
3/5 roughly I tried to move them around
6/4/1

The auger motors wouldn't have any effect on the air. I had an issue with my stove where I couldn't turn it down not as bad as you describe but the stove would just drive me out of the house. Turned out that someone (prior owner I believe) had swapped out the top auger motor with a 2 RPM vice a 1 rpm motor and I was getting twice the feed for whatever setting. the rpm is not critical for the bottom auger as all it does is feed the pellets delivered to it by the top auger into the fire pot it can't feed what it cant get but it is also supposed to be 1 RPM. I tested mine by unplugging the power wires to both motors and connect the wire from the bottom motor to the top motor an timing how long it took for 1 revolution. You could also make a power cod to test them with an old power cord to something and a couple of connectors.