New Firelight 12, circa 97, enamel hunter green . Few questions, new guy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bric

Nov 23, 2014
minnesota
Just hunted down this big Jotul for the reason of heating my home, live northern Minnesota. Had a Jotul CB 3, but that was not keeping up. Found this one on Craigslist, scooped it for a little over a 1000$, had a cracked glass and put a cat in it. I write on the first nite that I burned it. Heres the question, the fellow who had it was not inclined to buy new glass so he had a buddy cut a piece of metal to fit. What I notice is the right door where the metal was doesnt line up on the reveal between the two doors, its about 1/4" out it seems that the new gasket job I did stops it, but do you think the steel piece caused excessive heat that shrunk the right door? Just nit pick'in as I look at my new baby. First nite it burns at about 430 deg. so far, only watched for two hours. Another question what with the air dial beneath the doors, it seemed like it was'nt working then I shot it back and forth a few times and it sounded like a chunk of soot fell out of some place down there and it worked better. I have a 97' as stipulated on the right door stamp, and it has the two #3 phillips right in front of it should go looking and see what else is in there or not, probaly just a cleaning, or does it not really dial oxygen in and out to well? Look forward to some advice from those who have burned #12 for awhile. Thanks Bric

Paging member Joful to the Hearth Room.

Call in the lobby for @Joful.

Bric here agian, sounds like Joful is my guy. Another question, I read that you step on the foot pedal and the draft door and top pop up. I never saw the door pop up cause I did'nt want to step that hard then I did, and wow draft door opens and top lid comes up, but very clunky. Is there a preferable lubricant and where to do so for best results? Brother Bart thanks for the call out to the Jotul pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.