New fireplace and it's older than I expected...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 31, 2019
MD
I'm not quite sure what to make of this. I was in the market for a new fireplace and began looking around. One of the two local fireplace dealers sold Quadra-Fire, so I began exploring the Quadra-Fire website, where I saw:

7100 Wood Fireplace - 2019 Model Close Out – While Supplies Last

The website said, "See your local dealer..." Cool. So, I stopped by and learned that they had one left on display to sell. The salesman informed me that this unit had to be sold before the end of this year, since it wasn't compliant with the new 2020 EPA standards. They had it discounted about 10% off the list price, and I was able to negotiate what seemed to be a fair deal on this "floor model" and the needed chimney pipe components. They loaded it on my truck, and I drove home, trying to figure out how this beast was going to find its way off my truck and into my house! Fortunately, I was able to recruit a couple of my awesome brothers-in-law to help heave it into the house. It's now in my family room, not yet installed, as I'm waiting for the pipe to be delivered, because they didn't have that in stock...

Here's where it gets odd, at least in my mind. In an effort to make the unit as light as possible prior to moving it in, I removed the doors, fascia, and firebricks. I noticed a small chain near the bottom of the front of the fireplace and pulled on it to find the model rating plate. That's where I leaned that my new fireplace was manufactured in January 2011!!! This is certainly NOT the 2019 model close out I was expecting! I'm very interested to hear some thoughts and opinions about this. Does anyone know what, if any, changes might have occurred with this model over that time? Anything in particular I should be concerned about? Or, is it just a hunk of metal that sat unused for 8+ years, with nothing to worry about?

I would not even worry about it Because of EPA I doubt there were meaningful changes or they would have to recertify

I don’t see any reason to be concerned or upset. It was a display, I would expect it to be a few years old anyway. I am surprised it was only 10% off though.

I don’t see any reason to be concerned or upset. It was a display, I would expect it to be a few years old anyway. I am surprised it was only 10% off though.
Yeah, don't go there! Already bought and paid for... Went from $9,500 installed to $9,000 even. He dropped to about $5,900, including chimney components, with me installing it myself. Felt like a fair deal, but whatever. I assumed it was maybe a couple of years old, but didn't think to ask. Mainly, I'm just concerned about any improvements that might have been made over that time. 8+ year old metal doesn't bother me. I'm just hoping everything works well. At least I hear the warranty with these is good.